➶ 008 ➶

| Darry pov |

"do you even know where Joey lives?" Soda asked me as we wandered around the neighborhood aimlessly.

"of course I do, Just been a while" that part was most certainly true, the last time I had gone down to Joey's house was when I was 15, it was an old abandoned house, although it was more like a shack if anything.

"Darry! Soda!" we both turned to look up at who was screaming our names, it was Dally, and in that moment I couldn't control myself. I had run up to him and punched him right in the face. "shit. Yep I deserved that".

"Darry!" Soda yelled as he came rushing up beside me, but didn't stop, he went straight for Dally and grabbed him by the collar. "where are they?! Are they Safe?!". Dally grunted as Soda shook him repeatedly.

"yes! They're safe. But I can't tell you where they are" he said finally prying Soda off him, I wanted an explanation cause we were still really in the dark, all of us were.

"I'll explain everythin' but I'd like to get somewhere more private" I nodded helping him up, agreeing that we were headed to Joey's and we could talk there.

| Joey pov |

Sophia had started crying again and it was just, I don't know how to explain it but it hurt me in a sense. It took me a while to get her to sleep again, but by the time she did go to sleep I was just exhausted. Its just all so much to have dumped on you.

I plopped down on the couch, resting my eyes, trying to get some sleep while I can. Until I heard someone open my door, and in that moment I acted on impulse and I threw my pocket knife at whoever opened the door.

"Fuck, Joey!" it was Dally, 'shit'. And by the looks of it he was already beaten up, but I didn't care. "what the fuck dude!"

"shut up" I said grabbing him by the collar, "nock next time, and I won't throw a knife at ya" I could tell by the looks on their faces that they were pretty surprised. I'm sure I looked horrible too. I'm not usually an angry guy, more like two-bit, I'm easygoing ad fun, and I rarely ever look tired or mad, but with Sophia, I am beyond exhausted.

"shit, Joey. You look like shit." I still held him by the collar but I rested my head on his chest, almost dotting off, "you good?" he asked genuinely concerned, but I knew what was about to come. Sophia started crying again because of the ruckus we all made. The gang's eyes widened, as I took a deep breath and lifted my head up, swiftly turning on my heels and going into my room, and picking her up.

I came back out and sat on the couch holding her, trying to get her to stop crying, while the gang still stood in the doorway speechless. "close the door. You're lettin' dust in". I said as they shut the door and sat down beside me.

"wh- who- what- when- I-" Darry Struggled to get his words out, very confused as to what was going on.

"fuckin' kid is that!" Dally said for Darry a bit too loud, causing Sophia to cry again. I glared at him, "sorry. But really man. Is it Alice's".

I nodded trying to calm her down when Steve burst through the door, with two-bit, both of them laughing their heads off, while I just glared at them. After noticing my glare they quietened down. "sorry".

"so this is her?" Two-bit said sitting down with the others.

"yeah. Her name's Sophia Josephine McPhee. According to her mother at least" it felt weird having the gang around her. I felt ashamed, that it was all my fault like they were all staring at me with judging eyes.

I stiffened up as one of them put a hand on my shoulder, "so what are you gonna do?" Darry asked.

"I ain't getting' rid of her if that's what you're askin'!" I hugged Sophia close to me, in a protective manner. "her momma abandoned her Darry! I can't do that!" I hugged her for dear life, trying my best not to let tears fall down my face.

"ok, ok. Its ok" he said in a hushed tone sitting down, and holding me gently.

"I'm so tired" I said my eyes half droopy.

"sleep then. I'll take care of her. We all will"

I tried to protest but my sleep was getting the better of me and before I knew it I was sleeping and dreaming. but my dreams were plagued with memories of the past and the guilt that still plagued me to this day.

I woke from my dream to find a figure grinning at me. "what?" I asked uncertainly.

He stared at me intently. "Do I make you nervous?". . .