➶ 006 ➶

I stood there for a good hour or so, I think, I was too shocked to do anything I just stood there and before I knew it lunch had passed and the telephone box out the front of my house had started ringing. Not many people rang that phone except for the gang.

I took a deep breath and walked out to answer it, "Hello?" I said, my voice rather raspy.

"Hey! Joey" it was Darry, "have you seen Pony, o-or Johnny?!" I had seen the two last night, but they were with two-bit and those two girls.

"I saw him last night, when-" "where!" Darry interrupted me, only now did I completely how much desperation was in his voice, "last night with Two." I heard him grunt and punch something. "Darry, talk to me. What's goin' on?".

"they left, man. Johnny and Pony are missin' there's a dead body in the park" what on earth had happened last night?

"hold up a dead body!" I was concerned, to say the least.

"a Soc, some guy named Bob I think"

"Oh. Ok well, do you have any idea where they might be?" I asked looking around to see if I could spot them.

"no, I got the whole gang out lookin' for em' but they aren't here, I think Dally has somehtin' to do with this, he ain't answerin' his phone. Buck answered though and said he went off with some kids" Damn, I missed a lot. In that moment I heard a loud crying comin' form in my house.

"sorry that happened Darry, but uhm, god I'm sorry" I leant my head on the little box, "your call will end in 30 seconds, please insert 10 cents".

"shit I'm runnin' out of time, but if Steve's over there can you please send him my way, I could really use his-" and with that the machine cut me off, I smashed the phone against the box, and slouched against the wall. I took a deep breath and raced inside to see Sophia crying her head off.

I went into my room and picked her up trying to figure out why she was crying so much. I went over to the box Alice had left behind and I looked through it. I laid Sophia on the dining table, quickly going through the box, inside were a few rolled-up bills and blankets, some diapers and towels and tins with formula, I think, in it.

I found it irritating, how Alice had just decided to abandon me and her child, yet not have any instructions. I screamed and hit the bench, causing Soph to just cry more. I tried to remember back when I was younger, but it was no use, my parents hated me, they loved my older brother but they hated me and I didn't have any younger siblings so I knew nothing.

I was so clueless until I started to smell this putrid smell, "oh god"

| Darry pov |

Joey hung up the phone in a rather rush, but I was too worried to take into account what might've been going on with him I was too concerned about where Ponyboy could be. I walked into the living room to see Steve rubbing Soda's back, I could tell he was just as worried as I was.

"hey Steve" I gestured for him to come over so I could talk a bit more privately, "Joey was askin' for you, he ran out of time on his call but he was hoppin' you could head down to his place. I got Soda you check up on Joey, I heard Alice visited him last night, most likely didn't go down well." I said and he nodded.

He left and I went over to Soda to try and make him feel better. I knew he was worried, so was I, and I couldn't help but blame myself. If only I hadn't hit Pony, then none of this would've happened. "Soda you should get some rest," I said and he stood up abruptly.

"No, Darry! I need to know where Ponyboy is!" he yelled at me.

"yeah! Well I'm worried too ok! This is all my fault! And I can't help but think, when we do find 'em you both get thrown in a boys' home!" I was petrified, it was only a matter of time before the Socs tell the cops it was us greasers.

"geez, I-I'm sorry Darry, I guess I'm just scared" He sat down on the couch again, we were all scared, and this was no time to be yelling at each other.

"we'll find 'em, don't worry Soda," I said as I tried to comfort him. I wasn't the best at this but I tried. Ever since the accident, I've been trying my best to make sure Pony and Soda don't get thrown in a boys' home, but I guess I forget they're still kids. Heck I'm only 20, but that doesn't matter. "how 'bout we head over to Joey's, I heard he's havin' himself some trouble".

We both got up, well Soda got up reluctantly, as we headed over to Joey's place. "man, you just wanna see him, he always makes you feel better. He always does" I guess he does, I don't know why, but being around Joey's happiness just makes me happy. I don't know what I would do without him, I'm glad I stopped him that day, he doesn't talk much about his past but I can tell he had it rough.

"so what if he does" I hit Soda over the head.

"I see the way you look at him. It's like the way I look at Sandy" he said as he began to tease me about this strange feeling. I've never really had time for my feelings so I guess I haven't noticed them until now.

"yeah, well it don't matter, all right. Let's just get to Joey's".