➶ 007 ➶

I had managed to clean Sophia up, after much trial and failure, but I got it done yet for some reason she was still crying and I didn't know what to do, much less did I have the mental capacity to handle it. So, I just sat there, I felt so exposed and unsafe I didn't like the feeling. I sighed getting up, "sittin' here sulking ain't gonna do no good".

I was really trying my best to calm her down but it just wasn't working, "I Really ain't cut out for this" it was almost as if the sound of my voice was making her cry more. "aww c'mon Sophia" it felt strange talking to her, she was just a baby. Just a baby, she's probably just as scared as I am, if not more.

I sighed and put my forehead against hers, it calmed her down a bit but she was still crying, I set her down on my couch and walked away to grab something that might help. I could tell the further I walked away the louder she cried and it broke my heart. Because her mother had abandoned her just as my mother had abandoned me. . .

"I swear! It was an accident!" a young boy cried out as an older lady dragged him by the hair down a long hallway, "please! I'm Sorry!"

"Sorry won't bring him back though!" she screamed in his face as tears rolled down her own face, she paused for a moment before getting mad again and continuing to drag him.

"I'm sorry" I breathed out as I stared at the wooden door in front of me.

"Sorry for what?" I jumped and punched whoever was behind me, "fucking hell, Joey!" Steve.

"don't fucking sneak up on me like that Steve, Jesus. You good?" he held his nose as I helped him up, it was bleeding a good one.

"Geez. That's one right hook you got there, Joey" he laughed a bit before I grabbed him and pulled him close, "what's wrong-".

"Shhh! Can you hear that?"

"no?"

"Exactly, its dead silent" that was not good, I pushed him aside and ran into my living room looking for Sophia, and I found her exactly where I left her, sleeping. 'she must've cried herself to sleep'.

"Woah, ok. Joey, you wanna explain who the fuck that kid belongs to?" Steve said wearily as he slowly made his way over to me.

"she's mine Steve. Alice dropped her off last night and then left for New York or somehtin'" I slouched on the ground just next to where Sophia was on the couch.

"that bitch really left you with that?" I glared at him, making him rethink his choice of words.

"it ain't a 'that' Steve! She's a girl, and her name's Sophia" I said  and he sat down next to me.

"so what are ya gonna do?" I looked at him confused, "like I mean are you gonna drop her off at a hospital or somethin'?".

"god no Steve!" I stared at him, eyes wide with shock. "I can't abandon her! Her Momma abandoned her just like my Momma abandoned me, so I can't. I just can't, Steve" He nodded in understanding.

"anyway Darry said you needed me? What for?" I nodded and got up walking over to the box that still laid on the kitchen table.

"I was hoppin' you could get me some supplies?" He nodded and asked what I needed, "I need some water, some blankets, and towels, maybe some nappies if they got any"

"yeah no problem"

"thank you so much, I swear I will pay you back" I pulled him in for a hug and he pat me on the back.

"its all good man, I gotchu" we pulled apart and I walked back over to where I was before Steve came in, I grabbed my guitar and walked back over to Sophia. "you play?" he asked with a surprised look.

"yeah" I responded gently putting the guitar down, "I figured that I could play her somethin' if she cried again. My brother used to do the same with me".

"you had a brother" I hummed a simple yes, staring at Sophia's calm face, "how come he's never around?" Silence. . .  I couldn't bare to tell him what happened with my brother, it was just to hard. "I see. You gonna tell the gang?" . . . .