➶ 017 ➶

"look Darry, its probably got some dirt in it" Darry as soon as I said I couldn't quite see out of my left eye, he started examining it.

"well then wash it. The longer it stays in your eye the higher the risk of you going blind" he said in a angry yet concerned voice. I bent over the sink and started washing my eye and my face but it didn't work. "ok, can you see now?"

"yep," I said being stubborn, but I could tell he wasn't buying it.

"aight. How many fingers am I holding up then?"

"fou- fa- fa- five" I exclaimed thinking I got it, but I did not. Instead I got a hit on the back of the head.

Darry sighed, "I'll take you to get it checked out in the morning." He said, I don't need him babying me. I ain't his kid brother.

"yeah no. you're not gonna do that" I said turning to walk away, but he grabbed my wrist.

"the hell I am!"

"I look Darry I don't need you babying me all right! I ain't your kid brother. so fuck off" I ripped my hand away and walked out of the kitchen as Pony came in. "Where have you been?" I asked.

"Ponyboy, what's the matter?" He looked around the room a little frightened if I was being honest. "Johnny... he's dead. We told him about beatin' the Socs and... I don't know, he just died." There was a stricken silence. I don't think any of us had realized how bad off Johnny really had been. Soda made a funny noise and looked like he was going to start crying. Two-Bit's eyes were closed and his teeth were clenched. I just stood there in the kitchen doorway. Thinking to myself 'it was only a matter of time. . . I just wish it wasn't so soon' I looked up trying my best to not let my tears roll down my face.

"Dallas is gone," He said. "He ran out like the devil was after him. He's gonna blow up. He couldn't take it.".

"So he finally broke." Two-Bit spoke everyone's feelings. "So even Dally has a breaking point." Ponyboy started shaking. Darry said something in a low voice to Soda. "Ponyboy," Soda said softly like he was talking to an injured animal, "you look sick. Sit down." He backed up, just like a frightened animal, shaking his head.

"I'm okay." But he sure didn't look like it. He was swaying from side to side as if he were about to pass out. "I don't want to sit down." Darry took a step toward him this time, but he backed away. "Don't touch me," he said.

The phone rang, and after a moment's hesitation, Darry turned from me to it. He said "Hello" and then listened. He hung up quickly. "It was Dally. He phoned from a booth. He's, just robbed a grocery store and the cops are after him. We gotta hide him. He'll be at the lot in a minute"

We all ran out as fast as we could, though I was falling behind due to my lack of vision. We made it just in time as Dally came running into the lot. The Screaming of the sirens made Dally spin around and face them and he came under the circle of the street lamp. He pulled something out from the waistband of his pants.

I remember him telling me a few days back he had been carrying a heater, I thought he was buffin but I guess not. He held it in the air and the officers leaped out of their cars. It was as if time was in slow motion. The bullets flew at him, the echoed cracks of the gunfire. 'no, no please don't take another person from me'.

We all screamed as we ran over to him as he laid bleeding out on the stone cold, rocky cement floor. Steve stumbled forward with a chocked sob, Soda caught him and whispered things to him. Darry stood behind me and went to put a hand on my shoulder. I wanted to brush it off, but I just felt to weak. I wanted to cry, but I couldn't.

I had cried my last cry a long time ago I told myself. I told myself, it would be alright, but it wasn't. the only thing I could hear in that moment was the voice of my father. He was whispering to me, I couldn't hear him but I knew he was talking down on me.

"its ok" I jolted up and turned to see Darry crying, I hugged him and cried in his chest.

"I cant do it no more". . .