➶ 003 ➶

"so where we grabbin' our booze from, two?" I asked as we walked down the street to nowhere in particular. Two-bit was 18 and I was 19 meaning we were both under the legal age of drinking, but that never stopped anyone. We were always drinking beer down at Darry's or at Buck's, Dally's roommate, either that or we'd find our own way to score them which could be pretty hard if you don't know what you're doing. [fun fact in the early 1900s till the late 1900's you had to be over 21 to get any sort of alcohol in Oklahoma, and this was set in the 1960s].

"I was thinkin' we'd go down to the DX and buy some, Soda might not but Steve would probably let us get some" Even if we were under 21, Steve let us buy some booze if we really wanted, he was chill like that.

"aight' then" I said as I jammed my hands into the pockets of my jacket. It was starting to get really hot here in Oklahoma but most of us greasers didn't mind, for me I just liked the feeling of the jacket, it made me feel safe in a sense. "and if they don't?"

"then we hop around town for a bit and then if we're still sober by then, then we head down to the nightly double" he explained as he we walked into the DX.

"welcome to the DX" Soda said with his back turned to us as he worked on restoking some shelves.

"yo, Soda!" Two-bit walked up to him as I grabbed a pack of chips off a shelf, "what we not good enough for a proper greetin' or somethin'" Soda shot up and greeted Two-bit properly.

"hey, two! watcha doin' here?" Soda pulled two in for a hug and exchanged greetings as Steve came out form working on a car or something.

"sup" I said and he replied with the same as what I had said. Don't get me wrong Steve and I got along, but we were both chill around each other, it was like he was my older brother even if I was older than him. He certainly reminded me of my older brother. always putting me in place and keeping me in check, Always coming round to my shitty excuse for a house and checking on me, and loaning me money when I needed it. We were chill like that.

"we are here for some booze" Two-bit said and it looked like Sodapop was about to disagree but Steve butted in.

"just ran out" Sodapop opened his mouth to speak again, most likely to tell us off and kick us out, but Steve hadn't finished, "but I got some out back if you guys wanna wait".

Two-bit and I nodded as Steve went to go get it from the back, but "no! we could get fired Steve, we can't sell them beer" Soda said stopping Steve from going out back.

"c'mon Soda, don't be a stick in the mud," Steve said, even with Soda being slightly taller than him, Steve still manage to intimidate the boy and get past him. "hehe" he gave a low chuckle patting Soda on the back as he walked past him and into the back.

"so. You gonna pay for that" Soda motioned to the half-eaten packet of chips in my hand as he went around to the other side of the counter.

"Can you put it on my tab?" I asked smiling innocently.

"sure. But that'll now be $14.34 cents" Soda said with a sly grin and I just glared at him. not in a mean way but in a way that said, you gotta be fucking kidding me.

"Ugh, fine. I should probably pay it off now anyway" I puffed out my cheeks being all childish about having to pay my tab off. I pulled out a few coins hoppin' it was enough.

"Sorry Joey" soda said looking at me smugly while two-bit just laughed at me, "that aint enough".

"aww c'mon man! I'm like, what, a dollar short!" I begged for him to let it go but he just rambled about how he could lose his job, and I knew Soda couldn't afford that.

"sorry man, but your gonna have to pay up one way or another" Soda motioned to towards a broom. 'aww hell nah'.

"Steve!" I shouted out, but then jumped 6 feet into the air realizing he was right behind me. "Jesus fucking Christ" Soda and two-bit snorted, taking my words too literal. "oh shut up! Steve can you spare me a dollar?".

He pondered for a second, "nah, I think some hard labour will do you some good" he said as he walked past me. "unless you can pay your bill?" I grumbled for a few seconds, turning around to face Soda and Steve who were now both behind the counter.

I pulled my shoe off and lifted up the sole seeing a two-dollar coin under it, "here, don't keep the change I want mah money" I grumbled as two-bit stared at me with slight shock and pride.

"thank you" Soda took the money and grabbed out a dollar change and handed it to me.

"alright, now here's your six carton of beer and, my treat," Steve said as he put the beer on the counter.

"what, c'mon that ain't fair"

"life ain't fair baby Joey"