➶ 013 ➶

We all knew the story of how the Curtis brother's parents died. After that accident, Ponyboy started having nightmares, to the point where it got so bad Soda decided to sleep with him to reassure him he was ok. "was it very bad?" Two-bit questioned.

"no" Pony said simply.

Darry started to say something, but before he could begin, Sodapop and Steve came in.

"You know what?" Sodapop said to no one in particular. "When we stomp the Socies good, me and Stevie here are gonna throw a big party and everybody can get stoned. Then we'll go chase the Socs clear to Mexico."

"Where you gonna get the dough, little man?" Darry had found the cake and was handing out pieces.

"I'll think of somethin'," Sodapop assured him between bites.

"You going to take Sandy to the party?" Pony asked, just to be saying something. Instant silence. He looked around and we all stayed quiet. "What's the deal?" Sodapop was staring at his feet, but his ears were reddening.

"No. She went to live with her grandmother in Florida." Soda said sadly.

"How come?"

"Look," Steve said, surprisingly angry, "does he have to draw you a picture? It was either that or get married, and her parents almost hit the roof at the idea of her marryin' a sixteen-year-old kid."

"Seventeen," Soda said softly. "I'll be seventeen in a couple of weeks."

"Oh," Pony said, embarrassed. I could tell he felt bad for his brother.

"We'd better get on to work, Pepsi-Cola." Darry rarely called Soda by Dad's pet nickname for him, but he did so then because he knew how miserable Sodapop was about Sandy. "I hate to leave you here by yourself, Ponyboy," Darry said slowly. "Maybe I ought to take the day off."

"I've stayed by my lonesome before. You can't afford a day off." Pony said smirking. The two continued talking back and forth while I got up taking Sophia out to get some fresh air.

"Oh, there ya are, Joey" I turned around to see Darry, Soda and Steve ready to head off to work.

"hey, guys. Can I talk to Darry real quick?" I asked and Soda and Steve looked at each other before nodding their head and walking to the car.

"what's up, Baby Joey" I blushed at the nickname, the gang had used it many time before but , this time it was Darry, and I still don't know what we are.

"At the hospital last night, some officers saw Sophia and the scratch on her cheek" when I got jumped by those Socs a while back, I had pulled out my pocket knife to protect Sophia and I before the gang got there, but in the process I had accidentally cut Sophia's cheek, I felt so bad I couldn't even look at her.

"They started asking me questions when a doctor came over to ask if he could examine her, but seein' as I can't afford any hospital bill I had to say no and the officers found it a bit suspicious" I looked at Sophia, scared, I couldn't lose her. She was my everything. "its only a matter of time before they call me into court as well" I looked at Darry, seeing his hardened yet also sad face.

He looked around before hugging me. "it'll be ok" he was worried about losing his brothers and I was worried about losing my daughter, but we'd be ok, "we'll be ok. We'll get through this".