➶ 005 ➶

Once the movie was over Two-bit and I offered to walk them home but they declined, something about greasers having different morals than Socs. Once two-bit stopped talking I blanked out, thinking about anything and everything.

"J-Joey!" we all stopped and turned around, and what I saw made my breath hitch. My hands turned into fists and it felt like I couldn't breathe. There she was, Alice in all her glory.

"hey, I'll catch up with you guys later," I said half-minded as I jogged over to Alice. The group said their farewells to me, not that I paid them any mind, I Just needed to get to her. 'what on earth was she doin' here' I thought.

"what, what're- what are you doin' here?" I asked struggling to find my words. I honestly didn't understand, she left, with out any reason, for 8 months! And now she wants to talk? "I, uh, I thought you left?"

"I did, look Joey, I-I'm real sorry"

"sorry aint gonna cut it Alice. I loved you and you left me, how do you think I felt" I raised my voice ever so slightly, the alcohol getting the best of me. I knew I had scared her a bit, as she physically flinched and backed away slightly. I sighed running a hand through my hair, "look Alice I just cant do this ok" I went to walk away but she stopped me.

"please" she had such desperation in here eyes. In those goddamn beautiful eyes. Alice truly was a piece of art. Her eyes were a magnificent shade of emerald green. She had beautiful pale skin with a few freckles coating her rosy cheeks and she had long dark red hair that fell to below her shoulders in waves. She truly was beautiful.

I sighed and started walking away, "you comin' or not!" I yelled as she caught up to me. Only now realizing she had box in her hands, looked pretty heavy too. "what's with the box?".

She looked around, "I'll tell you later".

"here let me help then" I said as I reached out to take the box from her hands, but she yanked it away saying she had it. The walk was pretty silent, not that I minded, it made me think about the good ol' days.

"well here we are" I said opening the door. I was pretty pore seeing as I didn't have any parents, so I stayed in this rundown home. It was pretty shit. No running water, nothing of use to me, just an old mattress I found on the curb side once. Not even a bed frame for it.

She sighed grabbing my attention as she sat down on the old tattered lounge that came with the old shitty house. Her breath wavered and she started to cry. I realy wanted to run to her and comfort her in that moment, but right now all I wanted was answers.

She set the box down on the floor, seeing as it was the only place to put it, and opened the lid pulling out what looked like a doll wrapped in clothing. I stopped, I don't exactly know what stopped but I froze and didn't move, I did nothing.

"sh-she-" Alice tried to speak but broke down into more tears. Finally, once she had calmed down she said, "her names Sophia Josephine McPhee. And she yours joey" I didn't know what to say.

"ok?" bad idea

"ok?! Joey, I just told you that you are the father to this child and that's what you say?"

"are you sure its mine? And why reveal it now! Why did you decide to leave and then come back and tell me anyway! I missed my own daughters birth because? Why huh, Alice? Tell me why!" I yelled starting to get a bit mad, but I stopped when I heard the heartbreaking sound of that poor bay cry, but I did nothing.

"look, Joey. I've only every been with you. Please"

"fine, but what do you want me to do ok, this isn't exactly the best place for her" I Motioned to the split floor boards and the broken windows and the peeling wallpaper.

"I-I know. I just didn't know where to go" she looked down in shame, tears threatening to spill from her gorgeous eyes.

I sighed again, going into a squatting position thinking of all the possibilities that could befall me. I was supposed to go to Sand Springs in a month, I was broke so I really wasn' much help to her and her- my child.

"you can stay in my bed for tonight, I'll sleep on the couch. Tomorrow we can go talk to a friend of mine, he'll most likely know more about this than anyone I know" I showed her to my room.

"you really live here?" I turned to tell her off, but I saw sympathy and sadness in her eyes.

"oi, you know I don't like sympathy" she sniffled and gave a slight laugh.

"alright now brighten up, sweet cheeks" I went to exit the room but she grabbed my hand pulling me back.

"do you, wanna hold her?"

"sure" The first time I held her, my whole world stopped and nothing else mattered, all I cared about was her, Sophia, she was my world and I would do whatever it took to keep her safe. She currently had blue eyes, apparently after a month or so they start t change color. Her skin was slightly tanned with white blotches all over it. "what's with her skin?" I asked slightly curious.

"the doctors said it was something called vitiligo, I think" I looked at her a bit confused and asking her to elaborate, "it's not passed down from genes, and its really rare to be born with it but overall it shouldn't affect her health".

I nodded in understanding, looking at her once again noticing she has dark red hair, "she's got your hair". Alice chuckled, and before I knew it tears were rolling down my face, "she's so beautiful"

I had woken up to the slight shuffling I felt on top of me. I was confused for a second but then remembered the previous nights events. 'I must've fallen asleep here last night' I thought as I slowly opened my eye to see Sophia sleeping soundly on my chest. I looked around to see if I could find Alice, yet she was no where to be seen.

I gently put Sophia on the mattress, she stirred a little so I got a bit nervous but she thankfully stayed asleep. I walked out into the kitchen, if you can even call it that, but found nothing except for the box she had last night. I walked over to it and saw a note on top.

"My sweat Joseph,

I am so sorry, to leave you and Sophia but I just can't do this. I'm not ready to be a mother, and you probably aren't either, but it's too late, I'm headed to New York this morning to pursue my dream of acting.

I do beg that you can forgive me, inside the box is everything you'll need to take care of her. I truly am sorry, Sophia and Joseph, I love you both deeply. Lead a good life, My lov-" the paper became blurry as tears rolled down my face.

I stared at it unmoving and shocked that she could ever do anything like this. "sorry my ass".