Unexpected Response

I got up early that morning like I had the last few mornings. I found it hard to sleep in a place I was unfamiliar with. I got down and started working on the daily chores. As I was brushing Lilly's horse her dad pulled up. He was dressed a little to formal to be riding horses.

"Good morning Logan." He said shaking my hand.

"Good morning Mr. Edwards." I said returning the handshake.

"Please call me Evan." He said as he walked over to the horses and petted them.

"What can I do for you?" I asked uncertain of why he was here.

"Well Logan I don't know anything about you. I trust my daughter when she tells me that you are a good person. I wanted to come down here to learn for myself."

"What do you want to know?" I said hoping he would be ok with the response.

"Well for starters I know you don't have any where to go. You are living here in the barn."

"Umm I....."

"Don't worry I'm not going to kick you out. I just want to know what you are running from." He said with genuine care.

"To be honest sir not to get to much in it but I have a bad pass that I am trying to run from and so far it is working. Your daughter has changed something in me. She makes me want to be a better person." I said with a sigh of relief.

"She is a pretty amazing girl isn't she?"

"Yes sir she truly is."

"Well I cant have you staying out here much longer. Winter will be here soon so you'll need some where warmer. Go pack your things."

"Sir?" I said thinking he was actually kicking me out.

"Your coming to live with us at the house. Lets go."

I could believe it. I was being accepted in to this house of people who didn't know me. I was started to feel like I was part of a family. I had never in my life thought that I would have a family again. That was not the response I was expecting from Mr. Edwards. I figured he would of called the cops knowing that I was living in his barn. Lilly was going to be so happy that I would be staying there. We got to the house where Mr. Edwards showed me to the guest room where I had stayed before. I almost started laughing when he said, "Probably never seen statues like this before". I got settled in when I heard Lilly come in the door. She had a short day at school and was home early. Her face was priceless when she saw me standing by her dad. I explained hoe I had told her dad everything and how I was staying here. Her face lit up like the Fourth of July. Later that night Lilly and I went onto the balcony and talked. It was nice to be able to talk to someone. For the first time in my life I felt like I belonged.