Registered Caretaker

"Nurse Edwards to the nursing station at your nearest convenience."

I heard this over the intercom. I could only assume that my mom and dad were here to have lunch with me. Which they did twice a week. Working as an Registered Nurse was such a fulfilling job. It was what I had worked towards for many years. I was one of the head nurses here at Cedar View Nursing Home. I have only work here for three years and they made me a lead nurse. As I rounded the corner I saw my parents standing there talking to the receptionist.

"Hi guys how are you?" I said hugging them both.

"We're good. How are you?" They said as we started walking towards the cafeteria.

"I'm good. I've been busy. Being head nurse is a lot of responsibility but I love it." I said as we got our food and sat at the table in the back.

"We are proud of you Lilly. Every decision you make is a good one." My mom said as I gave her a look because I knew what she was talking about.

"I know you guys are happy that I decided to forget Logan but deep down I have never forgot him." I said looking down at my food. Knowing that wasn't the response they wanted.

"Lilly don't you think it is time to move on. You can do so much better." My dad said looking at my mom.

"It's never time to move on when your heart wants something. I hope you guys can respect that. I am an adult and I will make my own decisions." I said for the first time stepping up to my parents.

My parents left on a bad note but I hoped they know that I love them. I just wanted them to know where my heart was. I went back to work starting with room 26. This was my favorite room to go to because the gentleman here reminded me of Logan. I could sit and talk to him for hours about his life and what he had done. I hated to leave him but it was time for me to go home finally after a ten hour shift. I got in my new car that I got a few months ago. I sold my Mercedes for a more practical Chevy Cruze. I got to my house that was about ten miles from the nursing home. I lived by myself in the middle of nowhere. My house was built a couple of years ago so everything in it was brand new. I was enjoying everything I had. I had the perfect job doing what I loved. I had a nice car and nice things. My life was missing something though. A person to share it with.