28

Frank was still sleeping when we got there the next morning. Everything was still normal but I was beginning to worry. Shouldn't he be awake by now?

Just then, Jay walked in. I rolled my eyes but he didn't speak right away. I wondered why but I didn't bother to ask because that's when Bob walked in and did for me.

"I wanted to see how he was doing." Jay answered.

"Jay, can I talk to you outside?" Bob asked.

"No, I came to see Frank."

"Why?" I blurted out, which made Bob and Jay both look at me.

Jay didn't say anything.

"Answer the question."

"It's none of your concern."

That enraged me and I stood up quick, getting in his face.

"Gerard, back off." Bob pushed me back a little, then grabbed Jays arm and shoved him out of the hospital room.

"Gerard?"

I turned to see Frank stirring. I quickly dropped back into the chair I was in and grabbed his hand. "Hey, how do you feel?"

"I'm so tired." He spoke slow and weak.

I ran my fingers through his hair.

"Can I go home?"

"They're going to keep you a few more days to see how you recover."

"No, I just want to go home."

"I know, baby, just a few more days."

"No," He tried to sit up. "No, I don't want to."

"Frank, calm down." I placed my hands on his chest, lightly pushing him back down. "You need to relax. You need to recover."

He whined, tears pooling in his eyes. "I just want to come home."

"I know you do. I'm sorry."

Just then, Dr Daniel walked in, scaring both Frank and I. "Oh, I'm sorry! Hey, Frank, you're awake! How do you feel?"

"Let me go home."

"I'm sorry, I can't just yet. We need to see how recovery goes."

Frank kept his head down.

That's when Bob came back into the room. "Finally got rid of him - oh, hey Frank!" He walked up to the bed. "Doing alright?"

Frank nodded, still disappointed he can't come home yet. "Got rid of who?" Frank asked.

"Oh.." Bob looked over at me then back at Frank, "It's nothing..." Bob looked over at me again but was quick to change the subject. "It hasn't been the same without you. We've missed you the last couple days."

"Really?"

We both nodded.

"Your test results should be in tomorrow morning, as long as everything looks good and stays good, you should be able to leave the day after." Dr Daniel said.

"Thank you," We all said as he left the room.

"What are you guys keeping from me?"

"There's nothing for you to worry about."

Frank looked between both Bob and I. He was very skeptical about and wanted to press questions, but Bob and I wouldn't let him. Not today. Visiting hours were over now. Bob left to go start the car.

"What are you not telling me?" Frank asked.

"It was a conversation between Bob and I."

"So? Why can't I know?"

"Because it's personal." I kissed his forehead. "Goodnight, Frank. I'll come visit you tomorrow."

He pouted as I left the room.

I needed to go and discuss somethings.

***

Bob and I pulled up to Jay's house. I walked up to the door, knocking on it. Wallace opened the door.

"Mr Way? What are you doing here?"

"I need to have a word with Mr Paterson."

"He's not here right now. Is there a message you would like me to deliver to him?"

"Just tell him I'm looking for him."

"Yes, sir."

And with that I turned around and headed back to the car.

When we got home just moments later, I got a call from the hospital.

"Frank isn't in his room." Dr Daniel informed me.

"What?!" I shouted, yelling at Bob to go back to the hospital.

"Mr Way, I think someone broke in.."

"I'll be there shortly." I hug up fast. "Someone broke into Frank's room, he's not there. I need you to step on it."

I didn't want Frank to learn about what it is I truly do for a living, but now I had no choice...

***

We pulled up to the hospital, it was on lock down. Cops swarmed the place.

"Mr Way!" The chief of police, Chief Soles called out. "It's your boy."

"I know."

"Do you know anyone who could've done this?"

"Mr Paterson." I blurted out then told the story.

"Sounds like Mr Paterson wasn't ready to let Frank leave."

"Well he's a bitch and needs to understand when someone doesn't want him." I was pissed and saying everything without even thinking. I was ready to kill the fucker.

"Gerard, we don't want you on the scene if your not going to stay level headed. I understand this is personal but this is also an investigation. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir." I forced out without saying another word.

"We have people inside looking around for him. We will see him if he was to exit the building."

I nodded in understanding, not trusting myself to speak right now due to the state I was in. I turned to Bob, "I need t get in there."

"Gerard, you don't even know exactly what you're dealing with. You could get hurt."

"I need to find Frank."

"You need to let them scout first."

I turned around in disappointment. Then suddenly, a ember from the search team inside came out, "He's not inside."

I felt the rage taking over my body. It was hard to keep my composure. I fell to my knees, my entire body shook, my breathing was heavy and rapid.

"Gerard, you need to think about what you're doing. You're going to get yourself killed. You have no idea what's going on in there." Bob kept trying to calm me down but nothing was helping, I was too far gone. My vision went blurry and I was seeing red.

I have no recollection of what happened next....