1

He was throwing another party. I want so bad to go. Everyone says how lively his parties are. I'd like to witness one for myself.

"Pumpkin, come away from the window. The lights alone will blind you, never mind the people there." Jay said.

"But wouldn't it be nice to go to at least one of his parties? Even just to say you went?"

"There's nothing about Mr Way's parties that will honestly interest you, my dear. He's never there when he throws them anyway. On top of that, those strippers and whores will be all over you."

"They're just ordinary people. And how do you know?"

"I've heard things, my dear."

I got up and went over to the window again, looking at them all. "I'd like to go at least once."

"Frank, we've talked about this," He came up behind me placing his hand on my waist. "Parties like that are no place for a young, perfect doll like you. Mr Way might actually say the same."

Little does he know 'Mr Way' has said the same.

Years ago, Gerard and I used to be madly in love. We'd always take a walk on the pier and sit on the edge every night until the stars came out. Some nights we'd dance in the ballroom to the sound of him humming. He'd always make sure I was happy and content with everything that was happening around the house. The only reason Gerard and I were not together anymore was because of the war. It had gone on for so long. When the war ended, Gerard never came back to me like he said he would and I grew tired of waiting for him to come back to me. So I moved on but I never forgot him.

Now that he lives here in uptown New Jersey, he's been throwing these parties ever since he saw Jay and I downtown.

"Anyway, I'm off to bed." Jay kissed my cheek.

"I'll be up there soon." I mumbled still paying attention to the party.

He throws them every night. If I could just sneak out without Jay knowing -

"It doesn't go unnoticed that you stare at Mr Way's parties every night." Wallace, the butler, said suddenly.

"Wallace, you scared me."

"I apologize, sir." Wallace cleaned up Jay's coffee cup and newspaper.

"What do you know about Mr Way's parties?" I asked.

"As much as you do, sir. But I can assure you that Master Jay will be leaving in a few weeks to England for five months. I can let you out so you can see for yourself, sir."

"You won't tell Jay, will you?"

Wallace leaned in, "It will be our secret, sir." He whispered.

"Thank you, Wallace! Thank you so much."

"It is my pleasure, sir."

***

I laid in bed next to Jay, his arm draped over my waist while I stared at the ceiling-to-floor window.

Gerard's party was over for tonight but the same thing would happen tomorrow night and the night after. I was counting down the days until I could go.

I wondered if Gerard ever missed me. Maybe that's why he throws these parties? To see if I'd show up. Maybe he threw these parties for someone new...

I do miss him but I was also happy with Jay.

I love Jay.

Jay and Gerard had a strange relationship with each other. Neither of them knew I knew about this but they were rivals. They weren't fond of each other all that much. I call it strange because they don't have anything to be rivals with...at least, not at the time...

***

"Jay?" I asked, looking up from my plate.

"Yes, my dear?"

"Wallace tells me you're leaving for England in a few weeks.."

He took a deep breath. "I wanted to tell you at a later date...but now that you brought it up - yes, I am. And I'll be gone for five months."

"Why? For what?"

"I have a meeting with the queen."

"Oh," I looked back down at my plate.

"I'm sorry, Frank. I was going to take you out for dinner and tell you."

"No, no - it's okay." I waved it off. "I was just wondering about it."

We ate the rest of breakfast in silence. He kept glancing back at me before he said, "I was thinking you could go to town with Bob." He handed me two one hundred dollar bills, "Maybe treat yourself a bit. Buy yourself something nice, pumpkin."

"Oh - Jay, you don't have to give me money."

"No, my dear, just take it. It's my treat to you."

"Thank you." I got up from my seat and kissed him.

He smiled.

"Wallace," Jay snapped his fingers, "Call Bob in here, please."

Wallace had left the room, Jay turned back to me.

"You can get anything you want. Hell, keep the cash even!"

"Jay, I -"

"Yes, sir?" Bob came in the room.

"I want you to take Frank into town for the day. He's been cooped up in the house all week."

"Yes, sir."

"Pumpkin, why don't you go get dressed and ready to go. I have a surprise for you when you come back."

I smiled and nodded.

I pulled on some clothes and stared out the window. It was clear and sunny today and -

There he was, standing at the end of the pier.

"Gerard."