29

Gerard got up instantly, stealing a gun from a nearby cop and ran inside of the hospital.

"Gerard!"

"Mr Way! Shit!"

Chief Soles announced on the radio to evacuate all patients and staff from the building, he told the other officers to stand ready.

"Jesus fuck.." Bob was on edge. This was the first time he didn't know what to do.

***

Gerard was walking stealthily down the hallways of the hospital, peering into each room he passed with his gun aimed, ready to shoot if necessary. He was going to find Frank. He was going to be the one to save him. He had to.

***

Back outside, everyone scrambled to get control of the situation.

"What's going on?"

Bob turned around to see who was talking to him.

"Jay?!"

"What is going on, Bryar?!"

"If it's not you, then...." Bob trailed off then called for Chief Soles. "It's not who we think. You have to get Gerard out of there!"

"We're trying!" Chief Soles yelled.

Just then there was an explosion that came from the third floor of the building. Everyone screamed and ducked down.

***

Inside, Gerard felt the building rumble and he settled himself up against the wall, breathing picking up. He stayed quiet, listening for a sign of any life. He heard screaming but couldn't tell from where. He pressed forward, smoke moving through the air vents and filling the hallways quickly as he moved. He had to be fast.

He made it to the second floor. The smoke was heavier, the fire spread to the ceiling of the second floor. Gerard would be lying if he said he wasn't scared but he had to keep going. He could hear cries and shrieking for help. He knew that was Frank. His stomach tightened and he ran through the second floor of the hospital, dodging tiles falling from the ceiling and collapsed debris.

***

Firefighters showed up to the scene, Chief Soles explaining everything to them. They started getting their things ready to stop the fire from spreading.

Bob and Jay stayed back from all the commotion.

"I can't believe someone would do such a thing." Jay couldn't make sense of the situation, "And you thought it was me?"

"You haven't been completely forthcoming, we could only assume it as you."

"Okay, I might have wanted to have him back but I am not this crazy to kidnap him!"

"You didn't hire somebody to do it for you, maybe?"

"Jesus, Bryar - what do you take me for?"

Bob honestly felt useless. He was supposed to be Frank's bodyguard and if the hospital had just let him stay with Frank, none of this would've happened. He was scared. He wouldn't be able to live with himself if something was to happen to Frank tonight. He loved Frank, not romantically, but he learned to love him even though Frank was hell on wheels and always kept him busy. The kid he never wanted.

"I should've been there,"

"They don't allow visitors after nine, there's nothing anyone could've done." Jay explained to him. "We just have to wait and hope everyone makes it out okay."

***

"Help - Please!"

Gerard could make out words from the screaming as he made it to the stairwell going up to the third floor. It was still faint, but he knew he was getting closer. He stayed quiet so he didn't give away where he was but slowed his pace, the smoke was thick and he was starting to have trouble breathing in.