13

Bob, Wallace, and I all sat at the table. I confessed how I really felt to them.

"Frank, you need to tell Jay. It's not fair to him if he's left in the dark about your affair."

"I'm scared. I know what he's capable of. I know that if he doesn't like something, he'll do something about it..."

"Sir, Master Jay wouldn't hurt you."

"I'm not worried about him hurting me. I'm worried about him hurting Gerard."

"Jay is not going to hurt Gerard. I'm your body guard and I'm supposed to protect you, Frank, and those you love. Jay told you he hired me to protect you but really, your parents did."

"My parents?"

"Yes, before they were murdered, they hired me to protect you. But Jay and I made a deal that he hired you, and you know why?"

I shook my head.

"Because he doesn't have the balls to attack someone if they hurt you. Gerard always used to say that it's the man of the house that should protect the one he loves, but Jay can't protect you. He never could."

I don't know why this was coming as a surprise to me. I should've known Jay was all talk.

"Sir, he's been lying to you." Wallace blurted out, not realizing what he said until it was out.

"What?"

"He's been seeing several women. I didn't want to tell you because he threatened to fire me and I don't have anywhere to go. But, sir, he's been cheating on you for two years."

That didn't make me feel so bad about cheating on him now.

"I'll talk to him when he comes home. For now, I have to get my things packed and move them to Gerard's. I'm leaving Jay." Before I left the room I turned to Wallace, "When Bob and I leave to get Jay from the airport, will you bring Gerard and keep him in the kitchen until I ask you to get him, please?"

"Of course, sir."

***

"Are you nervous?" Bob asked, glancing in the back seat through the rearview mirror.

"Very."

"You can do this, Frank. Wallace and I believe in you. Gerard as well."

I smiled at the mention of Gerard's name.

We got to the airport and waited at the gate for Jay. And when I saw him, I didn't feel what I used to feel for him. I felt angry and I felt the need to scream.

"Pumpkin!" He rushed to me.

I faked a smile and let myself be kissed by him.

I missed the taste of Gerard's mouth.

"I can't wait to get you home."

"There's a nice surprise waiting for you."

We drove back home. My arms were crossed and I didn't look at Jay once.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Frank, you haven't looked at my since we left the terminal. What's the matter?"

"Nothing."

"Bullshit. Just tell me."

I kept quiet.