3

The first thing I heard when I stepped into the west wing was growls

The first thing I heard when I stepped into the west wing was growls. They weren't the timid, scared ones that I was used to hearing from most rogues who were brought in, but deep and angry ones.

I didn't even make it into the room before I was met with the sight of doctors and nurses alike outside the door. The closer I got, the more I saw them struggling to detain Nixon who looked pissed. His body thrashed and he lunged at those around him in an attempt to break free — it was a complete change compared to the weak and injured wolf that I'd found less than a week ago.

I passed the hospital staff and made my way into the room where all the commotion was happening. Some who saw me looked at me pleadingly, others were too focused on the situation at hand to realize I'd even arrived.

"Stop!" I ordered using an alpha command amid the chaos. Those closest to me flinched and the others all turned and quickly moved to follow my command. Those who'd been holding Nixon instantly let him go and his dark brown eyes turned to my green and narrowed. "Please give us the room."

Most of the members left without needing to be told twice, others lingered behind hesitantly eyeing Nixon, but one glance in their direction had them leaving until it was just the two of us. I closed the door once everyone was gone and turned to Nixon who was glaring holes into me.

"Where the hell am I?" Was the first thing that managed to escape his mouth. His deep voice was scratchy, a sign that he'd been out for three days. "Answer me!"

His eyes narrowed on me in a warning and I could feel his own alpha aura grow stronger. I raised my eyebrow before doing the same. I wasn't going to be threatened into submission in my own pack and definitely not by a wolf who had just woken up from a three-day coma.

"Calm down," I told him firmly. "I get that you're confused, but there's no need to start a fight or to be yelling."

Nixon scoffed before pushing his knotted hair out of the way. "Where am I?" He repeated, but it wasn't as loud as before. His eyes scanned over the room as if he were looking for something or someone.

"You're in the Howling Night Pack," I told him, eyes watching to make sure he didn't try anything. "Three days ago, I found you outside pack territory badly injured so you were brought here to be treated."

"Three days?" Nixon asked, but it seemed to be mostly directed at himself. His head turned to the side, allowing me to get a glimpse of his ear that had been injured. A chunk of it was gone, but the rest had healed well. It made me wonder if he could still hear properly out of it.

Nixon pushed himself out of the bed. He used the table beside for support and rose to his full height. He stood there for a few minutes before slowly moving toward me.

"What are you doing?" I questioned.

"Leaving," he answered without missing a beat.

Though he looked better in terms of his wounds being healed, I knew that the man wasn't ready to be out and about just yet. When he was close enough, I reached toward him and grabbed his wrist. Predictably, Nixon yanked his hand out of my grip and turned to me with a glare.

They definitely weren't lying about his 'charming' personality.

"You look like you'd fall over if the wind blew too strongly. You're in no position to be up and moving just yet."

His eyebrow raised and he took a step toward me, almost challengingly. "I'm a werewolf. Give it a few hours to a say and I'll be good as new. And even if I wasn't, who's going to stop me?"

"You leave and then what? Your wolf will probably give out not long after, you won't be able to hunt, and where are you going to go?" I asked him.

Nixon didn't reply immediately, letting me know that I was right. The man was in no condition to be leaving and if I was correct about his family being the one that attacked him, then he had nowhere to go either.

His jaw clenched and his hands balled into fists. I stared at him for a few minutes before sighing.

"At least eat something and take a shower. Then if you really want to go, I won't stop you," I told him before turning around to exit the room. "There's a shower in the bathroom. I'll have one of the nurses bring you clothes."

"I'm not staying in this shoebox," Nixon said distastefully as if the room had offended him.

I raised an eyebrow and glanced back at him. I knew that the Silver Night had more land than us so his reaction was expected, but that didn't mean that it was needed or wanted.

"You've already been treated and now offered food, clothes, and a place to stay. I don't think you're in any position to be complaining."

The expression he gave me told me that he would complain the whole time. While I would just ignore it, I didn't want him to harass the staff. Plus, given the situation that had taken place earlier...

"Go ahead and take your shower," I told him. "Let's see how lunch goes and then we can talk about rooms if you stay."

I didn't bother waiting to hear a response and exited the room. Eyes followed me as I left in an attempt to try and guess what had happened inside the room, but I kept my expression blank as I left the hospital.

Before it was time for me to come back, I wanted to do more research on Nixon. Even if his stay was only temporary, I wanted to be sure of who the man in my pack was. Rumors were just that — rumors, but if there was any truth to them...

If there was any truth to them then he'd be kicked out before he became a problem.

When I stepped outside, my thoughts were interrupted by the sound of my phone buzzing. I pulled it out of my pocket and unsurprisingly, it was a message from Reo.

Letting me know that he wanted to talk tonight.