10

The expression on Nixon's face when he saw me was one of confusion

The expression on Nixon's face when he saw me was one of confusion. His dark eyes ran down my body as if he couldn't believe that the person sitting at the table was actually me.

"You two know each other?" Nixon's brother, Alpha Nolan, asked as he glanced between the two of us.

"Something like that," I answered and his face lit up.

"Well, then that's perfect!"

"Nolan," Nixon interrupted and glanced at his brother. "Why is he here?"

His voice was cold. Was he mad about me kicking him out or was I just thinking too much about it? Probably.

Both brothers' eyes cloud over, letting me know that they were talking through their mind link. Awkward would be an understatement. Why didn't Nolan tell his brother that I was coming beforehand? I still didn't fully understand why I was here in the first place.

A few minutes passed before both brothers' eyes returned to normal. Well, Nolan's return to their normal, calm state, but Nixon's was full of rage. But then again, I guess that was normal for him.

His angry eyes glared deeply at me as if I'd done something to harm him or offend him. I raised my eyebrow at the other alpha, asking a silent question: what the hell did I do to you?

"I'm sorry to drag you all the way out here, Alpha Tatum," Nolan said, causing my attention to turn away from Nixon.

"It's fine. I'm sure you have a good reason, right?" I said, trying to be polite.

Nolan opened his mouth to respond, but Nixon beat him to the punch with a scoff.

"Tatum isn't going to let me stay at his pack. This is pointless."

Stay at my pack? What?

"I'm sorry. Stay at my pack?" I looked over at Nixon. "What would be the purpose of that?"

"You see," Nolan quickly said, trying to regain control of the conversation. He shot his brother a pointed look that screamed 'shut the fuck up, Nixon.' "Recently, we've come across some new knowledge that hinders Nixon's ability to stay in the pack for the time being. We'd like to keep this situation under wraps as much as possible, which is why we're requesting that you allow Nixon to stay in your pack for the time being."

I tried to keep the confused expression off of my face. Did he not know that Nixon had already stayed at my pack once before? Not to mention that I'd kicked him out?

"I'm sorry about your situation, Alphas," I told both of them. "However, I can't agree to something when the information you've given me is so vague. Not to mention that there are several rumors surrounding your pack. I can't agree to help when there's so much I'm in the dark about."

I could feel Nixon's eyes digging holes into the side of my head, but I ignored him and focused on Nolan.

"He already knows, Nolan," Nixon said, annoyed. "He's the one who helped me."

Nolan briefly glanced at this brother before looking back at me.

"Then allow me to clarify my previous statement," Nolan said. "As you're aware, recently my brother was attacked and nearly killed. We have reason to believe that the attackers are members of our pack. Because of this, it is no longer safe for Nixon to be staying here. That's why I'm requesting that you allow him to stay in your pack."

Nolan's brown eyes stared at my green. Though they were similar, they were so different from Nixon's as well.

"I understand your reasoning, however, I can't allow him to stay. Not when he's confessed to killing someone."

If Nolan was affected by the knowledge then he didn't show it. It confused me how he didn't seem to mind that his brother had killed his mate, but that was just evidence that there was more to the story.

"You're talking about Isaiah Wells, my former mate, correct?" Nolan questioned and I nodded. His face remained blank as he began to speak. "Isaiah Wells was not a good person. At first, it seemed like he was, but later it was revealed that he was conspiring to attack the pack and take over. That is why Nixon killed him. There is evidence as well."

That was it? The expression on his face gave nothing away, but I couldn't help but doubt his response. Yet part of me also didn't think that Nixon would've killed him for no reason — especially if he admitted it so openly and I didn't want to just abandon the man when he was in danger.

I let out a sigh, glanced at the two men, and cross my hands over my chest. Nixon stared at me blankly while there was almost a hopeful glimmer shining in Nolan's eyes.

"He can stay," I said, against my better judgment."

"Thank you," Nolan said, face breaking out into a wide smile while Nixon just grumbled.

"Under one condition," I added causing them both to look at me.

"What would that be?"