43

As we walked to meet up with Fen, Eli's eyes kept darting behind us, where Roan walked in confusion

As we walked to meet up with Fen, Eli's eyes kept darting behind us, where Roan walked in confusion. I could tell by the way he kept looking at me that he was wondering what the hell Roan was doing here and when the two of us had become friendly with one another.

I ignored the curious glances and asked, "Does Fen know Roan, and I are coming?"

Eli blinked and reluctantly pulled his eyes away from Roan. "No, but I figured the more, the better. And as you said, it's been forever since we've hung out."

"I thought you did not like Fen," Roan said to me.

"I don't," I responded, not bothering to hide my dislike for the man in question.

"Then why are you joining him for a run?"

"Because I am."

Roan's brows knitted together at the response, but he nodded nonetheless.

"Do you and Fen get along?" Eli asked Roan.

"No, I suspect that he does not like me."

"Why not?" I asked.

"I do not know. Nolan said you and Fen were similar in that way. You both disliked new people and lacked social skills."

The response made Eli snort, and I rolled my eyes. Fuck you too, Nolan.

"Looks like you two do have something in common, Nix. Who knows, maybe this will be the start of a beautiful friendship between you and Fen."

"Keep dreaming, E."

The three of us continued. Eli and Roan talked the whole time, which was both surprising and not at the same time. I knew Eli could get along with anyone. What surprised me was that Roan was responding and actually seemed to be enjoying the conversation, even. There was the faintest hint of a smile on his face, one I knew would make Nolan happy to see if he were here.

"You know, he really isn't that bad," Eli said through our link.

I didn't get the chance to respond. The figure of a male came into view, and the closer we got, the more obvious it became that the man was Fen. His eyes turned to us, and I watched the slightest frown appear on his face before masking it.

"Fen!" Eli called out with a smile on his face.

Fen nodded in greeting. "I didn't know you were bringing them."