50

I stormed through the pack with Eli behind me

I stormed through the pack with Eli behind me. Eyes followed our every move in an attempt to make sense of what just happened. Some tried to stop us and ask questions, but I was focused on one thing at that moment.

As the building came into sight, I pushed the entrance open and strode down the hall. When I reached the room, the door was already wide open as if I'd been expecting to show up—which I was sure that I was. I stepped inside and shut the door behind me, effectively shutting the rest of the pack out, and my eyes shifted to the table in front of me.

"I told you," I said through clenched teeth. "I told you that he was no good. I told you that you should've picked another—"

"I know," Nolan snapped. "He was my gamma; I was the one who gave him the benefit of the doubt; I was the one who opened the door for him. Believe me, Nixon, I know, and I don't need you to tell me."

My eyes drifted over to my brother, and I studied him. Not his face, but the rest of his body. He was tensed up, hands clenched tightly into fists that shook slightly with rage, I could hear the irregular sound of his breathing as he attempted to regulate himself, and I knew that he had to be receiving the same overwhelming amount of questions and influx of emotions just like I was.

Guilt flowed into me. This situation had to be hard on him too. I sighed and walked toward him, pulling up a chair and taking a seat by his side. I blocked out the pack, and the two of us sat there in silence for a few moments until I saw signs of Nolan beginning to calm down.

"I'm trying to fix it," Nolan said quietly. "I'm trying to get him. I've sent out trackers and called Alpha Judah as well. If Fen's on the run, then he'll have to cross through Judah's pack lands. We're going to get him."

The way Nolan spoke made it sound like he was trying to convince himself more than me. While he and Fen weren't exactly best friends, they were somewhat close—close enough for Nolan to request that he officially joined the pack and took over as gamma long before we were planned to take over. That bond had lessened over the years, but I knew that the situation had to be hurting him.

"Yeah, we're going to get him," I agreed.

I'd make sure of it. After what he did to Eli and the attempt to kill me, I knew it was only a matter of time. Soon his face would be known amongst the other packs, and he'd be captured. In the rare case that he didn't get captured, he'd live a life in hiding. He'd never fully be able to enjoy most things similarly to how he had before. His life was fucked over—done with.

But it wasn't enough.

I wanted him to pay for his actions. I wanted to see him face Eli and fully grasp the consequences of his actions; I wanted him to see the faces of the pack members he left behind as they stared at him with eyes full of disgust and disappointment.