6

"How are you?" I asked Reo once the phone connected

"How are you?" I asked Reo once the phone connected. I was currently sitting in my office when he called and I knew that I couldn't avoid picking up forever.

The loud groan that echoed through the speaker spoke volumes.

"Don't get me started. I could tell you every annoying thing that's happened, but it would take too long. Besides, isn't that what I should be asking you?" Reo said. "How are you, Tate?"

How was I? Physically, I was fine. Everything else was another story, but I didn't want him worrying more about me than he already was.

"I'm fi—" the sound of arguing on the other side cut me off, and Reo sighed.

"Shut up," he said and I could practically hear the scowl in his words. "Do you two ever stop fighting? I swear you're like two toddlers but worse."

The arguing only grew louder and I could hear the sound of Reo standing up and walking followed by a door shutting.

"Sounds like you're having fun," I said amusedly.

"Why don't you come trade places with me and see just how much fun I'm having," Reo dryly replied. "Arguing is the only thing those two idiots are good at and it's not even over important shit! They were arguing over if the room was too hot yesterday."

"I think I'll remain over here," I couldn't help but laugh.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm glad my pain brings you joy. That isn't what I called you about though. How's the warrior search going? Any promising candidates?"

"It's...going," I said.

"That doesn't sound very promising."

I sighed. "So far nobody's really felt like the right fit. Maia and the elders are in a hurry to get this done and while I can understand, I don't wanna just give someone the role and they don't fit in with the pack. I'd rather spend more time trying to find someone who I think is a good fit than just rush the process and ultimately regret my decision in the future."

"I get that," Reo replied. "It makes sense to not want just anyone to fill the role, but you also don't have all the time in the world. At some point, the elders are bound to get fed up and so is the rest of the pack. At some point, other packs might start to turn on us. Keep looking, Tate. Someone's bound to show up."

I knew what he was saying held some truth. He wasn't the first to tell me those things and I was sure he wouldn't be the last. However, I was taught to think every decision through properly and to trust myself. I was the leader of this pack and every decision made not only reflected me but also my pack and affected those who lived there. I wouldn't make a reckless decision just because of pressure.

"Anything happens while I've been away? I miss the calmness of the Howling Night. There's always something going on here and more than likely, it's something stupid."