45

When it comes to remembering things, I'll admit that I'm not always the best

I forget a lot of the more minor things. I forget names, birthdays, and more. However, if there's one thing I wouldn't forget, it would be letting people into my house. More specifically, letting people stay the night or coming over at strange times. Those I always remembered. So when I woke up to the sound of someone moving around, my mind immediately went into high-security mode, and I was prepared to kick someone's ass.

With narrowed eyes, I got up and quietly opened the door, and walked down the hall toward the stairs. My eyes examined the area, and my ears were on high alert, noticing any sounds. There were no voices, but I could still hear shuffling, so I began to descend the stairs.

Halfway down, I came to a stop and took another whiff of the air. Instantly, all the suspicion from before left my body, and my steps quickened. I raced down the stairs and rounded the corner until I came into contact with a certain green-eyed man. There was a slight pause before I moved toward him and pulled him into an embrace.

"When did you get here? How did you get in?"

He grinned at me. "I arrived late last night, and Nolan."

Of course, it was Nolan. He was, after all, the only person other than myself who had a key to my house. Some would see the gesture as him trying to surprise me, but I saw it as him trying to make up for the comment that I had not-so-subtly hinted at Roan exposing when we went on our group run. Either way, it didn't matter. I was just happy to see Tatum.

"You're that happy to see me, huh?"

"Humble yourself," I rolled my eyes. "I missed your body—the sex—that's it."

The sentence was obviously a lie, and I knew that he knew it as well, judging by the smug grin on his face.

"Really? That's the only reason?" Tatum asked me.

"What other would there be?"

Tatum raised an eyebrow and began to pull away. "So I should just go aga—"

"Shut up," my hand dropped to grab his wrist.

Tatum shook his head before leaning over and connecting his lips with mine. "I missed you too, Nixon."

The words were light and filled with honesty. Warmth traveled through me, and there was a slight smile on my face.

"How long are you back for?" I asked.

Part of me didn't want to know the answer, but I knew that if I didn't ask, it would eat up and annoy me the whole time he was here.

"Not long," he admitted. "A day or two. Three at the most."

Disappointment filled me as the words left his mouth. I tried to push the feeling away, but it must've shown on my face because Tatum frowned.

"Nix—"