2. Screen Tests

Theme song - Tose Naina 

After two months of hearing all things pretty about Shubman, I had the chance to gauge him on my own. He wanted to meet Sara for Lunch or in Sara's words, for the much anticipated 'first date' and so the time for the screen test had arrived. She had conveyed this to him and as I had expected, the boy wanted to meet me in his car and not in a public place. Quite understandable to be honest and I would be able to grill him about this to see how he handles it. 

Those who believe that impressions get formed even before we meet someone are not wrong. I had been hearing so much about Shubman from Sara, particularly about how sweet he was and how quick he was in his replies. Which made me alert because I want to find out if he really likes her or responds promptly because of any ulterior motives. From what I had heard about him, I knew that he was not a guy who would be late for a meet up. And so when the car that Shubman had described to Sara arrived three minutes before the decided time, he earned some points. 

"Kavya Arora, right? Good to finally see you."

"Finally?" I ask as I close the door behind me. Look at this beast of a car. Damn. Sara would definitely appreciate the vibe and space. 

"Yes, finally. Sara talks a lot about you." 

Ah here he goes. The standard opening icebreaker. 

"Does she? I'm afraid she doesn't talk as much about you, though." I test him by providing him with a very very inaccurate information. What? There's no way I am going to tell him that sometimes my bestfriend mumbles his name in her sleep. Nope. No way. 

"Well not every relationship can be put into words, can it?" He says with the slightest of smiles. 

Ah.....her boy played well. 

"Hmmm....agreed. So Shubman, let me ask you a very upfront question. Half a year ago, you were dating Suhana Khan, right?"

"Actually, the media thought I was dating her but I wasn't."

"No?" I blink my eyes. Now that's surprising. And also upsetting because I was hoping to roast him about falling for daughters of famous personalities. 

"No." My reaction makes him smile. I'm temporarily distracted by his dimples but I quickly shake my head. 

"I see. So do you like Sachin..." about to say Kaka, I smile and remind myself..."Tendulkar?" 

"Who doesn't? Although my number one favourite cricketer will always be Virat Kohli."

Sincerity shines on his face as he has a faraway look, perhaps a dream with both of them playing for India together. Hmmm. So this isn't about Kaka too. Round one has been successfully cleared by him. 

"Interesting. And from what you know, what is it that you like about Sara?" 

I notice how before answering a soft smile appears on his face. 

"Her postive nature. She finds good in everything, everyone and every situation. Sometimes I find that hard to do. And isiliye mujhe uski ye baat sabse acchi lagti hai." 

I don't fight the urge to smile. In the past when I have asked this question, some boys have answered with 500 word insincere fake essays and praised her left right and centre. Shubman is one of the handful who seem to mean their words about her. 

He seems to be a nice guy. I look at the time. Sara will be anxiously waiting for their first date. I exhale, trusting his sincerity and my vibe detection results. I feel safe around him. Sara will surely be safer. I swallow before beginning,

"I'll be frank with you Shubman, Sara is my bestfriend and I have a feeling that she's about to become yours too and of course much more than that. If you intentionally hurt her... I promise you that I will do everything in my power to avenge her pain."

"Got it. Mujhe bhi kuch clarify karna tha. Main kabhi intentionally Sara ko hurt nahi karunga but even if I do so unintentionally toh I want you to track me down and avenge her pain." 

I chuckle seeing his solemn expression. 

"Track you down matlab... kahin jaane ka plan hai kya?" I decide to pull his leg one last time before leaving. 

He breaks the eye contact before looking up with a smile, making me suspicious. 

"Nahi...irada toh nahi hai... but cricket alag alag shehar lekar jaata hai."

Ah so that's what he meant. I put my overthinking skills to a rest and nod my head with a smile. 

"Woh toh hai. Theek hai phir. Gill saheb you can proceed to meet your beautiful date."

Seeing his face light up, I am assured that I made the right decision. Or actually...Sara made the right choice. I get down from his car, hurrying to catch some afternoon sleep so that when Sara returns I am energised enough to concentrate on her elaborate narration. Oh boy, I can't wait to see how it goes. 

A/n - ahahahaaha, this is where it all began....or is it? 👀

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें