15. We're all fools in love

Arjun Tendulkar

Highly conscious of the fact that Kavya is looking at me as I make the paneer bhurji, I avoid turning back to meet her eyes. She had come to ask me if I would be coming to their gametomorrow. Their game. It even sounds annoying to me. I fail to understand why Kavya is hell
bent on playing a match against Shubman so that she can take his wicket.

Ever since she mentioned this khwaab of hers to Shubman, she has been training. Asking me for tips. She even perked up when Baba was talking about Shubman's technique and areas of improvement. Ek toh yeh ladki ke pass baat karne ke liye itna Kam time hai par bowling practice karne bolo toh duniya bhar ka waqt hai.

I can almost feel her wriggle her legs impatiently as she sits on the kitchen platform. She knows that I do not like anyone sitting on the platform yet she chose to sit there.

"Arjun…."

It's always weird to hear her call me by my name.

"Hmm?"

"Kya hua hai?"

Kya hua hai? I almost laugh out loud. Hua ye hai ke, Shubman ne meri bestfriend ko apnibestfriend bana liya hai.

"Mirchi thodi Kam Dali hai tere liye… but agar tujhe zyada-"

"You know I'm not talking about the food, Arjun. But if you want to bring it in, sure let's talk about it. Main dekh Rahi hoon ki you're spending more and more time in the kitchen. Itni
cooking toh tune lockdown mien bhi nahi ki thi. Batayega ye kaunsa Naya defense mechanism hai Tera?"

I put the pan down on the gas and turn to face her.

"Tujhe bhi lagta hai it's a temporary interest?"
S

he gets down and walks towards me.

"I don't know. Maine toh bas aise hi bol Diya. You tell me. Is it something temporary?"

I sigh. Turning back to the stove I ask her to let it be.

"Jaane de, Kavya. It's nothing."

"Come on, Arjun. I can see that it is not nothing. It's very obvious that you enjoy preparing dishes. Kuch toh change hua hai Arjun. I just wish you would tell me what."

Since I have my back facing her, I don't have to look at her as I say this, and I am relieved.

"I don't want to be a cricketer."

When there's no verbal reaction from her, I grow restless. After a couple of moments there's a barely audible,
"Oh."

"Yeah. To be honest, I don't enjoy cricket. It's not something I like. I always pretended I did but, I wish I hadn't."

"Then, why did you continue playing it for all these years, you idiot?"

My heart can't take the warmth with which she calls me an idiot.

"Idiot hoon isiliye toh jab bhi Baba ko mujhe cheer karte hue dekhta hoon, itna accha lagta hai sab bhool jaata hoon."

"You know, when I had taken my first wicket in first class cricket, Baba was overjoyed. I had never seen him express his happiness the way he did that day. And I got addicted to his praise. I know a very wrong reason to continue playing a game you are not passionate about. But I thought, I will develop the passion. Par nahi hua yaar Kavya."

She moves closer and strokes my arm.
"And do you feel that passion towards cooking?"

A smile makes a natural appearance on my face.

"I do."

"Then I am so happy for you, mere chef."

She beckons me for a hug and I put the spoon down to give her one. She strokes my back with so much fondness that in this moment I know that I like Kavya more than a friend. Always have.

Even when she breaks the hug, her eyes are crinkled, as she gives me a proud smile.

"You found something you love. And when you decide to tell Kaka about it, I'll be there to cheer you. Oh wait, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Pehle chakh leti hoon ki bhurji bani kaisi
hai."

I chuckle as I use the spoon to take some bhurji out and watch her as she eats it with eyes closed.

"Man, you've got flavors on your side! Now scoot over so that I can eat some more. Oh wait… let me guess… Sara shoot pe gayi hai, Kaku kaam pe aur Kaka bahar Gaye hai, so
ye tune…mere liye banayi hai??"

I can't decide if it's cooking that I love or making a dish for a loved one.

I nod my head.

"Oh my god, I didn't know you can be sweet!"

"Well you would. Apne naye bestfriend se dhyan hate tab apne purane bestfriend pe padega na."

"Aw, baby-bear is jealous!! Let me see, lemme see."

She pulls my cheeks. It's ridiculous and infuriating.

"You've got nothing to be jealous about! You're my bestfriend. And he…"

She takes a pause. Her eyes, faraway. I see different emotions flash on her face, all culminating to make her lips twitch into a ghost of a smile.

"He's just Shubman."

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें