34. Mothers with Magic

Shubman was tired of answering questions. Not from the journalists. That was a weary routine he had gotten used to. But from his opponents. And his teammates. Everyone was complaining that he had turned too serious all of a sudden. He couldn't possibly go around explaining himself to everyone. He sighs. In his heart he knows that they only have goodwill on their mind. Besides he would be needing help from everyone he trusted. Opening his WhatsApp, Shubman attaches a picture of Kavya. 

It is from the party that Sara had thrown after the Ranji trophy finals. Shubman recalls how it was during this party that Anand had managed to spike her drink and carved a threat that he was going to wait. Mere thought of him being in his reach, makes Shubman shake with fury. But when he meets Kavya's smiling eyes, he relaxes. He's got to stay calm and focused. Swallowing, he begins typing. 

Some of you might already know my friend, Kavya Arora from the practice match. She has been kidnapped by a very dangerous vampire whose photo I just shared above. I need your help to find her. If any one sees either of the above in any city they travel to, or even has the slightest doubt ki koi inn dono ke jaisa dikhta hai, please, please turant call karna. Thank you bolunga toh maroge par phir bhi bol Raha hoon. 🙏🏿🙏🏿

He closes the phone. Messages of disbelief and assurance start flowing in. But he doesn't want to see them. He just wants to know that where Kavya is and whether she is safe. If that asshole even thinks of touching her….he swears a few curses. Before shaking his head so that he can ward them off before praying to God. And the first thought that comes to him mind after thinking of God is of his mother. He needs to speak to her. He needs her to comfort him. 

***** 

Kavya had taken to falling asleep on every occasion she could. Sleep mostly eluded her but that was a different story altogether. It was the best way to avoid hearing Anand rattle away and bite her ear off with his meaningless nicknames. She couldn't believe the nerve of that guy! He had killed her parents for God's sake and yet…yet he tried to sweet talk her! The sheer audacity of his pretence made her hate him even more intensely. 

And one way Kavya dealt with the hatred was to try to sleep as much as possible. She knew that this infuriated the hell out of Anand. And that made her happy. 

Good, the devil doesn't deserve any amount of energy or attention. 

When Kavya was in fourth grade, she had a nemesis named Bhoomi. Bhoomi boasted a lot about her achievements and that drove little Kavya crazy. She tried her best to make her feel insecure about not getting out of marks when in reality Kavya had scored 19 out of 20!! Kavya had tried telling Bhoomi that she did not like this game of comparison that she played but the latter paid her no heed. When a very upset Kavya ended up remarking that she would like to be free of 'all the tension' at once Kamaldeep had told her about a magic trick. 

With her daughter sitting in her lap, Kamaldeep had wisely told her that as humans we had tons of energy to give to tasks. And it was we who chose what was worth fretting over. Sometimes, said Kamaldeep, we have to consciously choose to not let our energy be spent on certain things and withdraw ourselves from the claws of unimportant things. 

She pretended to encage little Kavya who giggled and using tact freed herself. 

"I did it, Mumma!!" 

"Yes, you did it, puttar!" Kamaldeep had said with the same joy her daughter reflected. 

Kavya smiles at the memory. Somewhere the lingering spirit of her mother watches Kavya toss and turn, struggling to give into slumber. But when Kamaldeep wishes from the skies, Kavya falls asleep. 

******* 

As Kavya slips deep into her slumber she dreams a happy dream. 

In a big stadium filled with loyal fans, Shubman has been a part of an nearly impossible 12 ball 56 run chase along with Hardik Pandya. 

But Kavya is not just a spectator. She is on the pitch. Waiting for Shubman to join her after receiving his man of the match award. 

Her imagination conjured the image of her embracing him. Kavya cannot believe how good it feels. Even in the dream she finds herself sighing as she snuggles closer to him and feels him rest his chin on her head. 

Her breathing slows. Her brows relax. Her sleep deepens. 

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें