24. Ties of Friendship

Shubman sent an apology letter to the Gujarat Titans' management, explaining his delay in detail. His compassionate words had melted the heart of Ashish Nehra who had generously agreed to extend his leave by another day. And he was immensely grateful for that. He knew in his heart that Kavya might not need him comforting her for she had an amazingly devoted bestfriend in the form of Arjun but he still wanted to be there for her.

He did not know but she was touched by his decision to stay. When she woke up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee, she felt a strange sense of security.nShubman was trying to communicate through his actions that she had him no matter what. And Kavya let this knowledge act as an anchor to get out of the bed. She was amazed to see Rahul helping Shubman in the kitchen.

Upon seeing his sister, he rushed to give her a hug. She patted him on his back.

"Ek study session ho Gaya Socio ka." Rahul tells her proudly.

"Shubman toh sota nahi hai, aur Mai Aaj jaldi utha tha, so we sat in the balcony and discussed inequality in sports, media and in general life."

"Damnnnn. That's amazing, Rahul! Pura Unit ho Gaya padhke?"

"Pura ka pura done and dusted!"

"Waah mere Sher! So proud to hear that. Aise hi padhta Raha toh you'll definitely top Socio!"

"Wohi toh plan hai Kavi. You just wait and watch. I know kal ka paper mast jaane wala hai."

She gives him a thumbs up and lets his positivity rub on her a little. He takes his cup of cold coffee in their room and she watches him whistle. Kavya is very well aware that he is trying his best to distract himself from the pain. But she is wise enough to let it clasp her for a while because she knows that after a point it will return home, tired and defeated.

"Tum Gaye nahi, Gill?" She asks Shubman trying to appear annoyed but failing miserably.

"Aise kaise jaata, Arora?" He tells her in all seriousness. When he sees that she's busy pouring her coffee in the cup, he discretely messages Arjun that she's up. Last night, Arjun had spoken to Shubman after three years. He couldn't believe his luck. Even though it had been a formal conversation where he had asked Shubman if he would let him know that Kavya had woken up so that he could make vegetable upma for her. Even though it was about Kavya, it was a start.

He always knew that Arjun would understand. He always knew that Arjun had it in him to forgive him.

Kavya looks at Shubman with a fondness that makes him want to pull her cheeks.

"Thank you for staying. Main bata nahi sakti how much this means to me. But you really shouldn't delay joining GT anymore."

"Pcchhh Kavya, I'm not going to hear a word about that so GT ko beech mien mat la and tell me how do you feel?"

"I think I'll feel better only after I speak to Kaka about everything in detail. And so if you don't mind I'm going to have my coffee baaju waale Ghar mien."

"No no I don't mind at all." Mast Arjun ke haath ka upma khane milega, Madam ko, he thinks.

And with a grateful smile Kavya heads for a heart to heart conversation with Sachin.

*****

"I'm sorry, Kaka." She says the first thing when she sees Sachin. He can't help but smile as he brushes his teeth. He holds up a hand to her to wait but even Kavya can see that he's putting in a lot of efforts to hold his smile back. Classic Kavya to make amends the first thing in the morning, he thinks.

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें