29. Sugar that burns

They met at a cafe that was known for its sweets. Yet that day, a doughnut burnt in the kitchen. However it wasn't the only thing to be set on fire.

*****

Shubman waits for Aatish. As seconds tick by, he feels his smile grow. If Aatish is late for a date with Kavya then that would give him a chance to question him right from the beginning. But when a dashing guy walked up to him and introduced himself as Aatish Juneja, Shubman's hope dies.

Instead of shaking Aatish's hand he studies him. There is no denying the fact that Aatish is one fine guy. But Shubman knows Kavya well enough to be certain that if Kavya is keen on dating him then there's got to be more to him than his ravishing looks.

Aatish waits for Shubman to shake his hand. He can sense that he is being judged for every little move of his. And he is ready to step up to the challenge in Shubman's eyes. He holds his gaze with confidence. Finally, Shubman moves to take his hand. His handshake is bone chillingly firm. Aatish has no difficulty in decoding the message underneath the firmness : messing with Kavya would equal to messing with Shubman.

A part within Aatish smiles menacingly. If only Shubman knew how much he would love that.

******

"Are you new to online dating?" That is the first time Shubman addresses Aatish as they sit down facing each other.

"Yes, I am. In fact Kavya was the first girl I swiped right for." Aatish chooses his words carefully. Well aware that he needs to fool Shubman to get to Kavya.

"Hmmm. And why did you join Bumble?"

"I had been thinking about it since quite some time now. I'm not a very social guy so I don't go to parties where I can meet new people. And I like to keep things professional at work so wahan pe bhi I don't encourage anyone. Bumble seemed like a good way to meet a girl."

Shubman searches Aatish's face for sincerity. Being the good actor that he is, he manages to radiate honesty.

"Hmmm." Shubman purposely hmmms in response. He does not want Aatish to think even for a moment that he approves of him. Because he doesn't. And be won't. He is determined to find something that will drive Kavya away from this guy. From any guy. He realises all of a sudden. The discomfort that comes with the realisation is disorienting. But he is quick to push it away.

"Aatish, tell me what do you like about Kavya?"

Aatish smiles. "I guess everything will be too straightforward of an answer, right?" He laughs. Shubman doesn't.

Shubman has been a vampire for three years now. That has included uncountable moments where he has desired to rip off someone's head and feed on them. But he has never felt the desire to hurt with the intensity as he does, today.

As Aatish begins listing the things he likes about Kavya…her genuinely caring nature, absolutely straightforward way of conversation, witty sense of humour…. Shubman curls his fist to prevent himself from taking this guy by his throat and strangling him to death. He doesn't feel a tinge of guilt as such murderous thoughts race through his mind.

Aatish has begun talking about how he loves the fact that little things make Kavya happy.

And for a brief moment Shubman's face softens. He feels his anger evaporate as Kavya's smiling face graces his mind's screen. It is during this moment that Shubman realises two things.

Kavya's happiness was of utmost importance to him.

And Aatish Juneja could make her happy.

Sighing at the realisation, Shubman leans closer to make his seriousness evident.

"Listen to me, Aatish. You seem like a reasonable guy. And you sure are serious about Kavya. She's been through a lot of tough times. I trust you to make her very happy but if you make her miserable even for a second…." Shubman doesn't voice his thoughts. Because his thoughts are too violent for this rational world. But Aatish seems to understand.

"I will never consciously wish any hurt or harm upon her." Aatish says in all seriousness. After giving him a good five second ling glance, Shubman nods.

"Good."

And with a heavy heart, he escorts Kavya, who had been waiting in his car, to the elite exteriors of the eatery.

******

As Shubman waits outside, he sends the picture of Aatish that he had taken very sneakily, pretending to answer an important message. He forwards it to Poornima. And Shekhar Bhai. Shalom. And Diva. And then with every ounce of courage in his body, to Sachin Tendulkar.

He will not take any chances.

*****

"

Damn that was intense." Says Aatish, jokingly.

Kavya lets out a laugh.

"I'm sure he would have killed me had he known that I was planning to gift a necklace to you."

"You were?" Kavya asks, surprised.

"Yes. I saw this online when I was buying a birthday present for my sister. It reminded me of you." He hands her a small box. She is a bit too relaxed while opening it. He watches her toy with the box, amused. He had expected her to be excited, rather melancholy colours her features red.

When her eyes finally fall on the teal, butterfly shaped pendant, she gasps. He can tell that she loves it.

"Ah yes, it would go perfectly with your top." He says with a sheepish smile.

"It would." She says, smiling too.

"Would you honour me by trying it?" He asks softly.

"Of course." She finds herself agreeing. As she picks it up and hooks it on her neck, Aatish shakes his head.

"Your lovely amethyst locket is stealing the limelight you know." He winks at her and she cannot help but giggle.

"Oops." She feels light-hearted. She did not believe that she would get a chance to enjoy a boy's company after Shubman. But she's surprised to find herself enjoying every second of Aatish's attention. She's too enraptured and humbled to be on it's receiving end that she does not realise that she has unhooked the necklace that protected her. And when she does, it is too late.

Aatish's pupils dilate.

*****

Shubman receives a call from Sachin where the latter is gasping for breath as he says,

"That. Is. Anand. Where did you see him?"

Not caring whether people see him, Shubman zaps his way into the restaurant. But they're gone.

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें