39. Power V/S Pyaar

When Kavya entered the HPCA stadium in Dharamshala, she was breathless. It was only the second time she had stepped outside. Her eyes took a while to adjust to the bright September sun. As Himachal Pradesh treated her with fresh Breeze, her shoulders relaxed and she stepped into the security check. As soon as the ladies saw her enter, they were quick to line up behind her.

Sara was the last to join the line. Hiding her face with the help of a white mask and an oversized hoodie she slipped the vervain clad ring that Poornima had given her into Devisha Shetty's hands. Devisha swiftly passed it to Ritika who was standing behind Kavya and was discreetly putting the ring in Kavya's side bag. As the line moved ahead, Nupur remembered to take some time inside the checkpost so that Ritika could whisper in Kavya's ears.

"Have passed a vervain ring to you." Kavya felt her heartbeats pick up pace as she realised the implications of the statement. She felt protected. Shubman had involved everyone, right from the players to their wives to the ground staff in the plan. Kavya held back tears that threatened to spill as the lady inside the security checkpost squeezed her hand. Hope filled her veins.

As she walked out of the checkpost and towards the ground, Anand appeared in front of her.

He had a certain boyishness about him today. Anyone could make out that the practice kit that had arrived the previous day with his jersey number - 137 which was what he believed to be his age, and his fake name, Ankit Das, had made him giddy with happiness. But Anand was no fool. He was not gullible enough to believe that Shubman had succeeded in convincing the nation that out of nowhere a new player had been handed the India cap. He knew that this had to be a ruse. However he wanted to enjoy it, before taking any action.

His pupils dilated.

"You are going to stay in the stands. Under no condition, will you step on the ground."

Kavya pretended to be compelled. Her insides smiled as they mocked Anand for falling for her pretence.

"That's like my girl. Now you wait and watch how I take wickets after wickets of all your favourite batsmen - Rohit Sharma, Suryakumar Yadav, what's his name, Ishan Kishan, and that Greek God of yours - Shubman Gill."

Kavya wonders if it'd hurt to laugh now. But she decides against it, trying to appear sullen.

"I'll try to smash the balls in the stands, where you're seated. Try not to die, sweetheart."

What an insufferably overconfident guy, Kavya wonders. Isko cricket chodke, stand up comedy karni chahiye thi. At least kuch toh scope tha wahan.

She waits for Anand to depart and then smiles. Her eyes fall on the families around her. She spots a lot of familiar faces. All that she had seen in pictures and posts. They seem to watching her too. Tingling sensations rise in her body to be around people once again. Just when she thinks of her family, she spots a very dear face. Masked or not she would never fail to recognise her bestfriend.

Sara looks up when she feels someone's gaze on her. She meets Kavya's eyes and gives her the slightest of nods. And now Kavya has no doubt that her misery will come to an end today.

******

Everything was going smoothly. To an outsider's eyes, it would have appeared to be a regular practice match amongst the Indian squad. Team Virat was batting. Shubman was on strike. It was Anand's 5th over. The score board had moved beyond 200 hundred thanks to Ishan Kishan's 72 and Shubman Gill's 47*

Anand was keen to get Shubman's wicket before he reached 50 and then look to his right, spot Kavya and celebrate. But that was not to be. His ball fell in the slot and Shubman smashed it in the stands for a six.

Anand's eyes tracked the ball. When he saw that it had landed close to where the families were sitting, he lost his patience. He was furious. He knew that Shubman's time had ended.

He raced to Shubman, his hands choking him.

Kavya rose in the stands. After spotting a staircase she took the big descent down. What the hell was Anand thinking? Her body was heated with rage.

Anand twisted his grip around Shubman's neck.

"Nice plan, Shubman. Alas, I am not docile enough to fall for it."

Anand had downloaded the e copies of the newspapers only to find no such article about an emerging cricketer named Ankit. But he had generously decided to play along. Until now.

He dragged Shubman to the other side of the ground where he removed a wooden dagger from Shubman's cricket kit.

There was a collective gasp from everyone who knew the plan. Their hearts shivered. Shubman was only one stab away from death. A lot of people squeezed their eyes shut. Numerous internal battles were fought. Many wanted to protect Shubman but were either reminded of their morality, their children or their spouses. Nobody moved. Except for a girl who ran all the way from the stands.

Just when Anand raised his hand to thrust the dagger, she gripped his hand.

Poornima, who was hiding outside the stadium rushed in with her little team of vampires, upon hearing Kavya's shriek.

"Noooooo...." Kavya stood between Shubman and Anand. She had been successful in breaking Anand's grip on Shubman's neck and now held his hand in hers. Her chest heaved as she felt anger burst within her. Here was the man who had taken her parents' life. No way in hell was she going to let him kill the boy she loved.

Anand watched her fury, perplexed. How was a mere human countering his force? He applied more pressure hoping to break her resolve but Kavya stood strong. Blocking his path.

Poornima stopped in her path. And so did Shekhar, Shalom and Diva. They looked at each other, relief evident on their faces. Poornima muttered under her breath, "Soulmates."

Kavya tried getting the wooden dagger from his hands. Anand fought but he could feel himself weakening. His face had started greying. Everyone watched in astonishment. Not knowing that the immortality he was so proud of was gradually leaving him because of the love Kavya felt towards Shubman.

Using his weakness to her advantage, Kavya stole the dagger from his shaking fingertips. Without wasting a second, she thrust it into his heart. Blood splattered on her face as Anand's body acquired a grey shade. He fell on his knees. He was not dead yet. But barely alive.

Kavya thrust the dagger again.

"For hurting Mummy and Papa."

And again.

"For hurting Sachin Kaka."

And again.

"For taking me away from my brother when he needed me."

And again.

"For every innocent life you took."

And again.

"For trying to kill Shubman."

And with the last blow Anand fell on the ground. Lifeless.

And so did Kavya.

It was over. The devil had died. She was free. Many arms opened to greet her. But Kavya asked everyone for time.

She still had some unfinished business to take care of.

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें