20. What good is a heart?

Rahul Arora had no idea that his habit to exaggerate things would lead him to this day when he terms snuggling as almost kissing. He did not give it much thought but Kavya's strong reaction took him by surprise. Shouldn't one be happy to know that one's bestfriend is happy with her boyfriend and is about to kiss him? What had he missed, he wondered.

And then he stopped. God knows that all his attempts of pairing his sister with someone had failed. Everytime he shipped her with someone, that guy turned out to either be a douche or not be interested in her. Maybe I was never meant to meddle in the matters of my sister's heart, he thinks with a pensive expression.

That's rubbish, what kind of brother is made to not meddle in his sister's business, huh?

And with that thought comes the reminder that Kavya had successfully installed Bumble on his insistence. Tinder na sahi toh Bumble bhi chalega!! At least it was the beginning of something. Saying a quick prayer for his sister, Rahul goes back to study.

*****

Kavya tosses and turns in her bed, unable to silence the repeat telecast of the previous night's events. Her heart seems to be raging a war against her chest, threatening her to let it speak but being the stubborn Mumbaikar that she is, she quiets it down. At this point, it is inappropriate to listen to its calls. Precisely after this thought, her phone pings. It's a notification on Bumble that tells her that she has matched with Aatish Juneja.

She rolls her eyes. Waheguru seems to have a quirky humour. But maybe if this is what he wants…maybe if this is what is meant to be then why waste a moment? She ties her hair in a pony and sits up. It's strange that Aatish seems to be online at 2.08 am in the night!

Kavya
Wow! I'm usually not up this late but the one day that I am I get treated with this notification!

Kavya knows well in her heart that it is too soon to flirt. For all one knows, Aatish could be a creep, a stalker, a murderer…

A vampire. Her heart adds. And she quickly shakes the thought away. Abhi ke liye ek hi vampire kaafi hai.

Aatish
I guess then this was the moment I had been waiting to officially be declared as God's favourite child.

Despite her reluctance, Kavya is unable to hold the giggle inside her. Her right hand Instinctively appears over her mouth as she quickly glances over to see if Rahul had stirred in his sleep or not. When she finds him sleeping soundly, she relaxes and turns back to the conversation.

Kavya
Hahaha. I guess it's a little weird to chat without an introduction so there you go, I'm Kavya Arora :)

Aatish
Hi Kavya! I'm Aatish Juneja, at your service.

Kavya
You seem to be smooth.

She presses send before she can think twice. It does appear to her as if he's done this before.

Aatish
I'm happy to give you that impression :) you're not doing too bad yourself.

Kavya
Not too bad, huh? That sounds bad XD anyway Aatish what's keeping you up tonight?

She gets up from the bed and stretches a little to shake that sleepiness away. For the first time in her life she wants to hold a guy's attention. She cannot afford to fall asleep so soon.

Aatish
Okay. Confession time. I'm a hardcore night person. 2 am for me is what 6 am is for a morning person. 😌

She rolls her eyes. Kavya has always envied those who can stay awake till the wee hours of the morning. She can do so only when highly motivated or highly tensed like right now.

Kavya
I see! You're speaking to a hardcore morning person so I wouldn't know :p

Aatish
Fair enough! Kavya, don't you think tonight is a little different?

Kavya
Different, how so?

Kavya decides to get out of their bedroom and stay in the hall for a while. In the excitement of the waiting for his answer, she does not realise that this would mean coming face to face with Shubman.

Aatish
The weather is unusually pleasant for a March night na?

Kavya
Ohh that! Yeah, I agree :) I thought you were going to say something more cheesy :p

But I'm glad you didn't :)

Kavya adds.

Aatish
Oh no, you caught me!! I was going to say because a night owl met a morning bird at 2 💁🏻

A chuckle escapes her throat.

"What are you laughing at?" Shubman asks her. A smile automatically decorates his face. Kavya blinks and then reprimands herself for forgetting that he is a vampire and vampires don't need to sleep. Even in this moment when she's irritated to have forgotten this detail, she cannot help but wonder if nights were ever taxing for Shubman.

Refocusing on his question she says, "Nothing. Just a guy I met on Bumble."

Now it is Shubman's turn to be worked up.

"I didn't know you were on Bumble…" he starts.

"I wasn't until yesterday."

"Woah and you found a match within a day?" Shubman obviously meant to question the legitimacy of the app but Kavya who was looking for an excuse to dislike Shubman took it the other way.

"Oh I'm sorry if you think a short heighted, average looking girl wouldn't get matched."

"You- I- Kavya I did not say that."

"Yes you did, Shubman." Kavya puts her phone in her pocket. Aatish Juneja is forgotten as she gets ready to head to sleep.

Shubman catches up to her and blocks her path, willing her to look at him.

"I'm sorry it seemed that way to you. But trust me Kavya, no matter how much I tease you about your height, that does not give you the liberty to assume what I think of your looks. I would never call you average looking, God!"

Kavya studies his face, confused at his frustration. This is all going in the wrong direction, she thinks. She shrugs as she says,

"Okay, my bad. Good night!"

"No! I don't want you to go to sleep believing that I think you're average looking."

Kavya resists the urge to roll her eyes. Why can't he be a little less adorable at times?

"So what are you suggesting? Pillow fight to relieve some aggression?"

"Hah, that's an option too. But how about a coffee? Tell me more about that Bumble guy, maybe?"

Kavya shakes her head. "there's nothing to tell. We had barely started talking. Shit! That reminds me I haven't ended the conversation properly. Argghhh. Shubmannnnn."

"See. More reason to make coffee and make it up to you."

"Okay baba. I lay my weapons down, Captain Gill."

And thanks to Shubman ke haath ki coffee Kavya ends up staying awake for an additional hour and a half, happily chatting with Aatish. Meanwhile, watching kavya giggle every thirty seconds, Shubman goes through  a surprisingly frustrating long night of his life.

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें