11. House mates?

• इन्हें समर्पित: CSG228

Theme song - Tu maane ya na maane

Kavya Arora

When I hear my doorbell ring at 7 in the morning, I can't help but shake my head. My intuition says that it's Shubman again. And it's damn right.

"Nahi matlab if you've taken a Don't let Kavya sleep oath ya something please chhupao mat. You aren't the only one who's aiming for this, so...."

At this remark, Shubman smiles. I can't see his face properly because my eyes have barely managed to open a few centimetres.

"I promise Aisa koi agenda nahi hai Mera but..."

"But if all eventful things happen in the morning toh tum kya kar sakte ho, hai na?"

"Took the words right out of my mouth." I stifle a yawn. I should improve my sleeping habits. If had slept at a decent hour, say midnight or one am instead of helping another intern with her presentation, I would have had a blissful sleep of 6 hours but nahi humien toh 3 ghante ki sleep pe function karne ki adat si lag gayi hai.

"Bolo, issa bar kya surprise Dena hai Sara ko?"

His face flushes as he says, "Woh baat yoon hai ki, we've been dating since three months but since do mahine Ranji trophy thi, we couldn't meet at all. And since I've taken a mini break from cricket, I think I will capitalise on it by staying in Mumbai so that we can see each other often."

Dayyyyummm. This guy is romantic.

"Wow yaar. Sara must be exploding out of happiness." My hand reaches up to play with the necklace. That's why I don't like wearing much jewellery. I always end up getting distracted from conversations because of it.

"She is! And when I suggested ki kyun na main tumhare appartment mien ruk jaun so that we could not only have frequent dates but also casual conversations and meet ups Bina planning ke bhi."

"So you're saying that you woke me up to ask if you could crash in for a few days so that you could stay close to your girlfriend?"

"More or less, yes."

"Aaah. I'll have to check with my brother first. Woh 7.30 ko uthta hi hai, so until then, please come in and make yourself home."

The realisation that if Rahul approves, Shubman will be staying here for a couple of weeks is not uncomfortable per say but a little unsettling. I am the kind of person who gets used to people very quickly. And at the pace with which Shubman and Sara's relationship is going, I've already gotten used to considering Shubman my good friend. If he stays...

"What's a random guy doing in our house at....7.10 in the morning, Kavi? Oh my God, don't tell me he's someone you met at the party this Sunday? Was he the one who had spiked your drinks?"

"Okay okay Rahul, breath. I'm yet to understand how you have brain cells function as soon as you wake up."

Rahul dismisses the comment with his hand. "Who's this guy? Also, quite a hot catch, Kavi. I'm so proud of you."

I roll my eyes and hit Shubman on his arms who's busy laughing. Ya ya it's hilarious that my baby bro has zero interest in cricket and poor memory.

"OH MY GOD WAIT. YOU'RE SHUBMAN AREN'T YOU? SARA'S BOYFRIEND. SHIT. I'M SO SORRY."

I can't help laughing. Bahot jaldi yaad aaya.

"That's quite alright. You're Rahul I am guessing."

"Yep. So hi. How may we be of service to you? Do you need to sneak into Sara's home or..?"

"He wants to know if he can stay with us for a few days."

"Weeks." Shubman corrects.

"Weeks."

After I explain his adorable plan to Rahul, he nods in excitement.

"Yeah sure. Playing cupid is my favourite hobby. Only my sister doesn't let me do so often." He adds softly.

I smile at the remark. Oh yes, the number of times Rahul has shipped me with someone else are uncountable. I praise the ethic of our team leader, he ships me with him. A fellow intern offers to drop me home, he ships us. A guy smiles at me in the ticket ka line, he ships us. Basically Rahul would have been a sailor if not interested in law.

"But bro what about clothes, toothbrush, and all that you'll need?"

"Bro", already?

"Uhh, yes about that. Don't be mad, Kavya. I actually brought whatever I needed with me."

He goes outside to get his suitcase that he had hidden on the staircase.

"Hmmm matlab tu maane ya na maane, asi te tere Ghar vich theherna." I decide to pull his leg by referring to a popular Punjabi cum Sufi song of the Wadali Brothers but changing it's lyrics from whether you agree or not, I've accepted you as my God to whether you agree or not, I've decided to stay at your place.

The reference allows me to see his dimpled smile. And I would be lying if I say, at that moment, I did not hear the song play in the background.

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें