9. Flourescent Threats

It had been exactly eleven days since Sara opened the parcel with the note - "Saw these in an antique shop. Thought you all might like them. It would mean a lot to me if y'all wear it, at least for a few days." Of course she would wear anything brought by him!

Eleven days since her middle finger adorned the amethyst ring. For the first two days she couldn't stop staring at it. The thought of wearing a ring that had been sent by Shubman, made her feel new sensations. A similar ring was chosen by her brother. But for him, it was the most strange, performatory gift ever. He did not want to wear it at all but seeing his family and the Aroras' excitement, he couldn't help but play along with their act of being in a cult.

As for Kavya, she had felt drawn towards the necklace with a weird intensity. When she first saw it, her hand itched to touch the amethyst locket but she held back, patient enough to see if Sara wanted it or not. When Sara showed no inclination towards it, she turned her attention towards her Anjali Kaku. And when she said that she loved the bracelet, Kavya was thrilled. It wasn't everyday that she got what she wanted. Moreover, it wasn't everyday, she wanted something for herself in the first place.

Eleven days had passed. Now everyone was almost used to their chosen piece. Arjun had already developed a habit of unconsciously playing with the ring when he was in deep thought. Kavya had begun developing a mark on her neck. And Sara already had 17 pictures with the ring. Strange how new habits are formed so quickly, isn't it?

********

Shubman Gill

I super speeded my way to Mumbai. Sara had insisted on throwing a party even though we had lost the finals. I had gladly accepted the offer since I would get to check up on all of them and spend some time with her. Gosh, the last two months were long and dry. But these eleven days have kind of made up for them, since I visited her along with making sure that Kavya was safe.

As I enter the club of her choice, I am disoriented by the neon lights, for a second. The place is dimly lit. It's very difficult to recognise people around here. All I see is neon bands dazzling on every wrist. I feel someone tap my shoulder,

I turn to see a girl with Poornima's amethyst necklace. A smile decorates my lips. I am about to address her as Sara when she speaks,

"You're here!"

That's Kavya. So she had chosen the necklace!

"Yes I am. But oh God, How did you even know it was me?"

I can't make out her expression but she chuckles, "I have no idea. Maybe it was the height."

I wish she could have seen me smirk.

"Of course it was."

"Bas bas, baadmien flaunt kar Lena. Abhi let me take you in."

She leads me towards the staircase.

"Saraaaaaa, Arjuuuunn Shubman's here." She announces. Sara showers me with a bear hug and Arjun nods to acknowledge my presence After everything I have put him through, even a nod seems like forgiveness. I want to bask in this feeling for long but the DJ starts playing the songs.

Oh so when Sara says, "party" she means Bollywood party anthems! Perfect for me. She takes my hand and pulls me towards the dance floor. From the corner of my eye, I see Kavya do the same to a very unwilling Arjun. That's when I realise Arjun must have been bullied into coming by Kavya to save her from third wheeling. Fair enough.

We dance to bazillion songs. When we decide to take a break, I notice that Kavya is missing. Panic fills through me but it eases out as I see her return to the dance floor with a drink in her hand.

The DJ seems to be done with solely peppy songs for he plays Uff Teri Adaa next. It seems to be Kavya's favourite song since she instantly starts vibing to it. Her arms go around Arjun's neck, and Sara squeaks out of delight.

"I've been shipping them since forever!! They look so cute together! Don't they?"

I squint my eyes as I observe a groovy Kavya and a docile Arjun. Something seems off.

"Shub? Shub? Hello, Shubman….kahan kho Gaye?"

"Kavya is drunk." I state as I watch her movements exaggerate. Soon, she is running around the dance floor, grabbing random people and dancing with them. An alarmed Sara nudges me to follow her.

"Areyyyyy Saraaaaaa, come be the Deepika to my Farhan….." she hands her empty glass to me and loses balance. Arjun is quick to steady her.

"Youuuu againnnnn…. I don't like youu. Always ruining my funnnnn only. Lettttt me dance na Arjunnnn."

"I don't like you either but you're less embarassing when sober."

I let out laugh. My eyes fall on the uneven surface of her glass. Carved on it are the words,

"I'll wait."

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें