10. Paralysing Fear

Poornima Solanki

Weekends can make you feel lonely when you're 112 years old living in an empty house. But not when you have regular visits from people you consider as family. Shekhar is here. And so is Shalom. Even Diva made it this time. As she narrates her experience of staying in Japan for the past three months, I feel myself yearning to travel. Maybe a quick trip to Shillong will help. Or even Mussoorie. I can't travel far because I am too concerned about Shubman's safety. And that girl who's being watched. If there's a new vampire in town, I've to be prepared for the worst.

When Shubman appears out of nowhere, I feel my fear materialise. His skin has adopted a pale shade. There's no expression on his face. When he notices Shekhar, Shalom and Diva, he acknowledges them with a nod.

"Shub, what's wrong?" Diva asks pensively.

Unable to speak Shubman shows us a glass. We move closer to have a good look.

Inscribed on the bottom are the words, "I'll wait."

My head jerks up to meet Shubman's eyes. When he speaks, his voice has the crushing weight of worry.

"There's someone who knows about us. He knows that we gave them vervain so that he couldn't lay a hand on any of them especially Kavya."

"If he knew that Kavya was wearing vervain then he can't be a newly turned Vampire. It takes decades before your nose can pick up on it's scent."

I ponder hard. Who could it be? And more importantly, what does he have to do with Kavya?

"And he's going to wait until Kavya….until Kavya is no longer protected by it." It's easy to see that Shubman is terrified. I try to soothe him by saying,

"We will protect her, Shubman. Give me the address, I will watch-"

"No."

The finality in his voice makes me search for it's implications in his eyes.

"Knowing that someone's out there to get her, I don't think I'll be able to concentrate on anything else, Ma."

I nod in understanding. From what he has told me, I am aware that Kavya is a good friend of his.

"I will have to find a way of staying with her. You can keep a watch on her too. The more the better."

"I can help too. I'm in town for this month but I can stay for as long as we don't find this guy out." Shekhar has always been very fond of Shubman. And without a doubt, Shubman's problems are his, too. Relief shines in Shubman's eyes as he says,

"Thanks, Bhai."

"Anything for you, Chhote."

"Where does Kavya stay?" Shalom asks.

"Bandra."

"Noted. I'll make sure I patrol her area, every night."

"And when you get tired, I can take over." Diva adds.

I look around the room, my heart aching with happiness. Yes, aching. I am the one who changed their fates by turning them into vampires when I lost Rakesh. But look at them, they have no resentment towards me. Because of them, I continue to experience love.

"Yaar, pata nahi tum sab ko thank you bolu ya sorry, kisi anjaan ke liye itna sab karne ke liye pehle thank you hi bolunga."

"Anjaan? Teri dost hai na woh?" Shekhar pats his shoulders and says with a smile.

"Haan."

"Toh humari bhi dost hai"

"This calls for a group hug!!" When I see Shubman's lips upturn into the slightest of the smiles, I heave a sigh of relief. Shubman worries passionately, just like Rakesh. Aur iss baar toh he's got a valid reason to worry.

"I'll get going, Ma. Bhai. Shalom. Diva." He gives us each a tight lipped semblance of a smile. I walk him to the stairs.

"Shub, mere bachhey, just remember, whoever he is, he cannot outsmart five vampires, okay?"

"I hope not, Ma." When he doesn't meet my eyes, I give his hand a squeeze.

"She'll be fine, I promise."

He nods. And when he tries to smile I know it's for my sake. I can't help but ruffle his hair.

You're not alone, Shubman. And never will be.

*****

A/n - It would mean a lot to me if you vote or leave a few words for me if you're liking the story.

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें