7. Silhouettes and Shadows

"Remember the silhouette I was talking about last night?" I ask as soon as I enter the Tendulkar's apartment.

"The one that got you were laughing about saying it's nothing and that maybe the accounting internship has finally gotten to your head, so much that you're hallucinating?" Sara says jokingly. And the whole situation was amusing until today.

"Yes the same one."

"What about it now?" She asks with her eyes glued on the screen. Shubman walks in to bat. It's the Ranji trophy semi finals. Sara hasn't missed a single game of his. Technically. She watches him walk into the crease and then works with something else. But always manages to look up in time for any milestone. I have no idea how she does that. Maybe, it must be girlfriend instinct or something? Anyways, the question is do I want to dump my paranoia on her? No, I don't.

"Okay. Kavya. If you're thinking of not telling me something that's bothering you just because my boyfriend has a match then you're making a mistake. Come on, sisters before misters, remember?"

Yeah, that definitely was best friend instinct.

"It's probably nothing but I felt as if I was being watched. I mean this might sound stupid since I work for a firm and there are people all around me but I felt this presence, like there was someone who was near me the whole time but I couldn't see him."

"How do you know it was a guy?"

"Because of the silhouette. The shadow. I don't know why I am so sure that he's a guy but I just have this gut feeling that I am being watched by someone. I don't know, maybe today's a weird day for me, I even saw mist form when I was waiting for the rickshaw. February has gotten really chilly, this time."

"Okay you know what, you and Rahul are sleeping with us tonight. We can have a movie night and relieve you of those big load that you're carrying on your shoulders."

"That would be really nice." I say as I exhale.

My attention shifts towards the TV just as Shubman hits a four.

"Now look at your guy making us proud!!! That was a beautiful shot, Shubman."

"You did it again! Oh I am soooo going to tell him today."

"No you're not going to embarrass me by doing so!"

"It's not embarrassing! You talking to him while he plays it's so cute. Sometimes I feel bad for praying that he makes a mistake so that I can see you threaten him as if he'll hear you."

"Sara, You know that's how I watch cricket."

"I know. Yet I can't help it if I find it cute. Isn't it cute, Arjun?"

Arjun who's busy making Munchurians for dinner, looks lost. Something has changed in him. He seems to have found this interest in cooking. And now it's like we'll always find him in the kitchen. Mental note, talk to Arjun about his affair with food.

"Yeah it is." I roll my eyes. That guy has no clue what is what. Nonetheless I fix my eyes on the tv, with the vow of silence. I have got excellent restraining skills.

******

We've had this situation thrice in the past when Shubman's been on 49. Everybody stops doing what they were doing. We all are literally holding our breath. I can't help myself but cross my fingers behind my back but in a way that they remain hidden from everyone's view.

With a straight drive, Shubman Gill has scores another 50!!! As I give Sara a hug, I see a crow sitting outside her balcony. Weird. Before I can say anything to Sara it flies away.

******

"I am so proud of you!!! We all are!" I hear Sara say through the phone.

"Yeah I was a little worried. Today's been a weird day. I mean omen wise. Like, Kavya has felt a presence the whole day and seen mist. And even I was feeling very queasy just before you hit 50."

"Oh…yes she's here, I'll give her the phone wait."

"Shubman wants to talk to you." She says as she passes the phone to me.

"Hii!!"

"Hey!!"

"Dude, that inning was fabulous. Not without those two risky shots but fab nonetheless."

I can hear his smile when he says, "Well, some people know how to play cricket unlike the others who just enjoy critiquing it without having played a single match themselves."

"You just wait and watch. Once you come back, I will come to one of your practice matches and take your wicket!"

He chuckles hearing that.

"Arjun is finally teaching you to bowl then?"

His voice has a strange melancholy to it. Or maybe just nostalgia.

"HE IS. I begged him saying that this would be my birthday gift from him. And he couldn't say no after that."

"Smart girl. Anyways, Sara told me that you felt someone watch you yesterday."

"Oh yeah, maybe I should stop watching all these crime shows."

"Yes you shouldn't be watching them when I don't have a chance to catch up!"

"Hahaha exactly why I love watching them more now." I suddenly feel awkward. I haven't spoken to him since the day he left. I realise, I missed him.

"Kavya, tu theek hai na?" He asks me, suddenly serious. What a sweet guy.

"Haan bilkul. I'm fine, don't worry. It's just me being Nancy Drew when I need to be Kavya Arora."

"Ye bhi sahi baat hai. Chal, I gotta go but you take care of yourself and Rahul."

"Yes Sirrrr! All the best for the finals!"

"Thank you!"

As I take a bite of the Manchurians I have a smile on my face. I have got the Tendulkars, an Arora and even a Gill with me. What do I have to fear?

*****

That night, Kavya had a dream. In which, Shubman stroked her cheek with the back of his left hand. Little did she know that it wasn't her imagination but the reality.

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें