26. Summertime Heartburn

Kavya Arora

I was in Sara's bedroom, looking at my reflection in the mirror. Neither did I want to overdo it, nor did I want to give an impression of being careless. Aatish's proposition might not be a date but it was definitely a good way to spend my evening and keep my mind occupied.

"What do you think?" I ask Sara. I'm wearing a yellow dress with a floral print. Classic summer fashion choice. My hair aren't tied. And I tend to look better when they're not. Hence, I decide to tie them in a bun. As I do so, Sara looks at me with curiousity.

"I think, I'm intrigued."

"Intrigued?"

"Yes. It's fascinating how my Kavya, the girl who is so difficult to impress, found a date on Bumble and is now second guessing her hairdo choices. I mean we all knew that you would someday want to date….but all of this seems to be happening at a rapid pace, don't you think?"

I shrug. What can one really say to ward off bestfriend instincts and doubts?

"Well, Aatish is a nice guy. And it's not a date, Sara. It's just a meet-up."

"Sure. It's not a date. I believe you." She mimicks my tone.

"Comeon stop asking questions and tell me if this looks okay?"

She sighs and takes a step closer to me.

"You look beautiful as always. Par ye purple amethyst locket yellow dress pe thoda alag Raha hai…."

My hand reaches up to the necklace. Immediately a memory fires up in my brain. The promise that I had made to Shubman is as fresh as the daisies on my dress.

"Oh yeh, yeh toh kahi nahi Jaa Raha." I tell her with a small smile. She shakes her head at what must come across as my stubbornness.

"Your call, Kavi. But are you sure about…?" The word Aatish hangs in the air. Unspoken yet loud enough to be heard.

"I am. Besides, your brother has already asked me to send him my location so you don't have anything to worry about."

"Of course he has." She says with a smile that seems a touch sadder. I wonder what that's supposed to mean.

I give her a hug and head out. I meet Arjun on my way out.

"Hiii…handsome." I call him, smirking. I find myself in that rare mood when I have the generosity to complement Arjun Tendulkar. Besides, even though I don't do anything to encourage him to blow his own trumpet, he is handsome.

However, he's immune to my ploys and rolls his eyes and remarks, "Just because you want me to call you gorgeous, you can't call me handsome."

I stifle a laugh and say, "I might have meant it."

"Haha, very funny." He says, irritated. Okay now this needs a proper addressal.

"Aye, Arjun I really meant it."

"Sure." He says. Not even looking at me. What's the deal with him today? Ever since I arrived with my three chosen outfits, he has behaved in this  somewhat overprotective yet I don't give a damn, manner.

"Is something wrong? Kuch hua kya? IPL ke baare mien hai?" I add. He had joined the MI camp despite everything he felt towards cricket.

He looks at me with alarmed eyes asking me to quieten.

"Shhh. Kavya. nahi IPL ke baare mien nahi hai. And aren't you getting late because of this interrogation?"

I check my watch. Uh-oh

"As a matter of fact, I am. But I'll be returning soon. Tab batana kya chal Raha hai, okay?"

Ever since he had joined the training, we had not spent much time together. And I kind of missed him. Okay, not kind of, I really missed him. As those slow, soft waves on a beach, a realisation sinks in. Ever since Shubman had arrived, Arjun had behaved differently with me.  He constantly seemed to be irritated or nonchalant. Kuch toh hai Jo ye nahi bata Raha.

"Haan meri maa. Ab Jaa."

"Okay bandar. Bye."

"Bandar sounds much better than handsome." I hear him mutter under his breath and I resist the urge to hit him on his arm. Someone needs to teach this guy how to take a compliment.

I feel small bouts of excitement as I leave the house.

******

I had agreed to a ganna juice meet up and since Aatish stayed in Bandra too, we had chosen a local shop. And I was having last minute doubts. Our plan was too spontaneous. It hadn't even occurred to us that we couldn't spend hours chatting in a sugarcane shop. It was bound to get awkward after a point. Either for us or for the owners. Maybe it was for the best. We would chat a little and then part ways-oh. My eyes find Aatish in the throng of crowd. He has a lopsided grin on his face.

I study him. Damn, the guy is breathtakingly gorgeous. His body is strongly built and he has lush jet black hair that have been groomed too well for a ganne ka juice meet up. The self assurance in his smile reminds of a certain, nervous and sweet dimpled smile and that's when I know I have to do this. Composing myself I take a step forward.

*****

For some people, the art of conversation flows in their veins. It is so natural to them that they can make anyone feel at home. Aatish is one of those. With him, it seems as if there are endless topics in the world to talk about. I feel strange, being on the receiving end of his attention. His demeanour is friendly but he occasionally flirts. My body likes his flirting. It blushes wherever needed. Experiences goosebumps when he reaches to tug a strand of my hair, that had escaped my bun.

But my heart, oh my heart won't shut up. It is reacting as if I'm a culprit accused of stealing something. It is afraid. Guilty. Sad. Mad. All at once. And maybe that's why my unfocused eyes trip on a broken tile of a sidewalk and I almost lose my balance but Aatish quickly steadies me. Giving him a half hearted smile I mentally kick myself for missing his anecdote of the time he had visited an old age home.

Here's a genuinely nice guy who seems to be interested in you, Kavya. Why can't you give him what he deserves?

I know the answer but I am terrified to even think of it. Of him.

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें