28. Screen Test 2.0

Life had picked up pace with the beginning of IPL. The matches acted as bookends for me. Me, who was not a hardcore fan of any particular team but loved, almost all teams for some reason or the other. I had reasons to feel a multitude of emotions every day. There was Shubman I enjoyed watching and Ishan, and Hardik, and Virat and Ruturaj, and Jos and Surya, the list was endless. 

Aatish was an admirer of cricket too! I had figured that ever since he mentioned being excited about Venky hitting a century. And in that moment, I thought maybe, maybe it was possible for me to move on from Shubman. Maybe I could give Aatish a chance. Hence it felt natural to me to ask him whether he would like to meet again. He immediately agreed! I found his enthusiasm a bit adorable.  

 I enter the Tendulkars' house to say goodbye before I leave for the meetup and also get Sara's approval on the teal coloured top and white jeans that I am wearing. It's a delight to see Sara happily video chatting with Shubman. 

"Ayee Kaviiiii…. You look lovely!!!" Her eyes light up as soon as she sees me in my favourite top. She had been hesitant the last time I had met Aatish but as time passed, she seemed to get more comfortable with the idea. Great. Isn't convincing your bestfriend of something a step closer to convincing yourself of the same? If Sara can believe that I have feelings for Aatish, I might believe the same with time too. Content with that knowledge I beam at her. 

"Thank you, Sara!"

"Wow…" I hear Shubman say from the phone. His voice has turned husky. Probably due to the humid climate and unbearable weather. 

"Kaha chali aapki Savari?" As his face comes into proper view, I see him grin at me. Momentarily frozen by the brilliance of the smile, I forget where I am heading. Why I've dressed up. I caress the necklace for assurance. 

"Date pe." For the first time I decide to acknowledge my meet up with Aatish as a date. My confident admission of it, sounds foreign not only to me but also to Sara who is glancing at me sideways with confusion in her eyes. 

"Date? Kiske saath? Aatish…" he adds the name after a moment of recalling. I'm surprised that he remembers. 

"Yes." My reply sounds as if I'm admitting a crime. Come on Kavya you could have faked a bit of enthusiasm, after all it is not going to be that bad, right? 

"Kaun....Woh Bumble wala?" Shubman was walking on the field when the conversation began but now he is sitting in the dugout, holding the phone steady. He doesn't look happy. 

"Haan, the one and only Bumble wala." 

He searches for someone, maybe Sara. And I move closer to her, so that she is in the frame too. 

"You are telling me that you're going on a date with a random guy you met on Bumble!" He says with disbelief. Itna bhi kya chaukne wali baat hai? 

"Relax Shub, it's not her first date." Sara thankfully adds preventing me from bursting into flames of annoyance. 

"What do you mean it's not her first date?" He seems to be getting more worked up about this than I had imagined. 

"It is what it sounds like Shubman. I have already gone on a date with him, earlier this week, so don't you worry.  He's a genuinely nice guy." 

"He's a genuinely nice guy." He repeats. 

"Have you checked his background? Why is he on Bumble? How old is he? What does he do? How do you know he's not seeing other girls while dating you? Also where did you meet him for your first date? Nahi woh jaane de, in fact yeh sab jaane de, just tell me where are you meeting him for your date, today?"

I look at Sara. What the hell is wrong with Shubman today? She looks equally confused. 

"Why do you want to know?" 

"Because…. Mr. Aatish is going to go through me before seeing you."

"Like a screen test?" I ask with a laugh. 

"Exactly like a screen test." He says solemnly. 

"I can't believe neither Sara nor Arjun thought of it!" He mutters but I hear it and so does Sara. Her face shows hurt. And that makes me feel angrier. 

"Because they trust my judgement!" 

"Yes, good for them. But I won't rest until I see for myself." He adds, his tone softens a little. 

"Comeon Kavya. You had done the same thing for Sara, remember? What's so wrong about me wanting to do a screen test for you? Please Kavya. I insist." 

Everything! Everything is wrong about it, Shubman, I think. Where do I even start from? How about the fact that your insistence has made me feel even more strongly for you? 

"Fine. I'll text you the address." 

He flashes a triumphant smile. "And I'll be there in a second." He says, flexing his ability to superspeed through places. 

I roll my eyes. I'm sure Shubman Gill must be the most annoyingly persuasive vampire to ever exist. 

Little Book Of Red Lies | Shubman Gill ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें