Chapter 17: Flying Lessons

Narrator: A deadly weapon unleashed! The Separatist battleship Malevolence advances unopposed through republic space, tearing apart any ship that stands in its path. But after a daring rescue and narrow escape, the Jedi now prepare a counterattack on the enemy ship and its diabolical droid commander, General Grievous.

Aboard the Jedi command ship, the Resolute, sits a contingent of clones within its hanger. Before the men stood Admiral Yularen and Anakin Skywalker, both relaying an attack plan to the pilots conducting the upcoming mission. Though not catching all of the briefing, Master Plo Koon and the two resident padawans walked up, silently listening in on the general's plans.

Anakin: So, once moving into the system, we will attack the bridge where General Grievous will be and given our capital ships are vulnerable to their ion cannons, I believe our bomber squadron should be fast enough to avoid their superweapon.

He said, gesturing to a holographic projection of the ship provided by R2 as the clones began to mutter among themselves. Meanwhile, Anakin did not pause his speech as projections of the Y-wings flew over the battleship mockup.

Anakin: We'll attack at high speeds and concentrate all our fire upon the superstructure. With Grievous defeated, the rest of the ship will fall with him. Are there any questions?

Matchstick: Just show us where that metalhead is, and we'll scrap him, sir.

The clone said, clenching his fist in a confident gesture as the others began to share in his excitement, their commanding officer smiling to himself before he forced a cough from his throat.

Anakin: Settle down, men. This mission is straight from the top; if we can destroy Grievous, we can end this war quicker. Pilots, prepare your bombers.

Clone: Sir, yes, sir!

They all chanted and began to file out, by which point Master Plo grabbed Anakin's attention as the three force sensitives approached.

Plo Koon: This is an aggressive plan, Skywalker. Are you sure your squadron is up for the challenge?

Jerome: Yeah, going in with just bombers is certainly pushing your odds.

Jerome said, Anakin simply rolling his eyes as he responded.

Anakin: Well, why don't I ask the men? Hey! Matchstick, you think the boys are up to the task?

He called, grabbing the clone's attention as a smirk lay across his lips.

Matchstick: Yes, sir! There has yet to be a mission Shadow Squadron couldn't complete.

Broadside: That's right. Minimal casualties, maximum effectiveness. That's us.

They replied, their squadron lead puffing out his chest while Master Plo responded in his level tone.

Plo Koon: I admire your confidence, pilot. Even so, minimal casualties may be enough to prevent you from breaching Grievous's defenses.

Ahsoka: He's right. If General Grievous is on that ship, it's bound to be well protected.

She said, looking up at her master, though the young man only seemed to brush off their concern.

Anakin: Don't worry, Ahsoka, we'll destroy that bridge and Grievous along with it.

Jerome: And probably yourselves in the process.

The older teen muttered, watching the Jedi walk off with his admiral, leaving Plo to sigh and look down at the Padawans.

Plo Koon: The confidence he inspires in his men is staggering.