Chapter 22: Senatorial Rescue

Narrator: A fight for survival! With the battle in the orbit of Hiigara and those upon the surface raging on. Jedi commander Jerome Cooper fights alone. Beleaguered and outnumbered, the young man had little choice but to chase after one thing, survival.

Jerome: Oh, of all the times, why now!

Jerome thought, snapping his wrist. Sparks of blinding light danced before his eyes as the blaster bolt made contact with his father's blade, toppling him onto his back. Burning nerves screamed upon impact, a harsh gasp escaped his lips and doubled when his head followed, aggravating the throbbing in his mind.

Spitting a crimson wad, the young Jedi forced himself to roll and bond up, nearly avoiding the ever-encroaching heat. Bolts zipped past him by mere hair lengths as Jerome was again pushed back onto defense, deflecting blaster bolts at the commando droids in rapid succession, each dodging with a calculated effectiveness that gritted the young man's stained teeth.

Shifting towards the massive stairwell, Jerome planted his feet; volleys of blaster fire bombarded him faster and faster with each encroaching step of cold steel. Hands trembling, the Jedi's grip wavered around his only lifeline. Snapping his gaze briefly to his discarded saber, the pounding in Jerome's head ripped through him beat after beat at the mere thought of retrieval. Yet eking a singular success in landing a deflection into the forwardmost commando droid, Jerome thrusted his hand forth. Igniting in a brilliant white light, the saber rattled upon the ground, drawing two of the aggressors only for them to watch as it flung itself high into the air, followed soon by the straining young man, arcing over the droids in a display of surprising acrobatics, he caught blade mid-air and slashed down, severing the barrels of the blasters before landing. The young man barely managed to steady himself as he came to a knee, biting down upon his blood-stained lip as he looked back upon the bewildered combatants.

Jerome: Heh, not so fun without your little toys, huh?

He muttered, staggering to his feet as the droids tossed aside the weaponry, turning to face their foe on even footing. The four droids pulled their blades from their backs, looking among one another, communicating in a wordless language before they shifted, spreading out around the Jedi much to a formation he recognized. Letting a slight smirk pass his lips, Jerome shifted stances, watching their movements as they droids came to a pause, the sounds of combat providing ambiance to the stand-off, before an explosion rocked the building, shattering the glass and scattering it across the staircase in a brilliant lightshow, and ringing the bell.

Moving thoughtlessly, Jerome swung upon the first Commando that leaped into the fray, slashing down upon him. Jedi countered with one blade, slicing through the Commando's sword before sending its body crashing into another. Loosening a loud metallic clang into the air, the Force user spun, forced back with a slash at his neck and narrowly dodging a jabbing blade toward his gut. Attacking with his orange saber, the Jedi commander slashed down the weapon as he sidestepped, forcing to second droid forward only to be craved in two by the young man's double strike, scattering it to the floor and spinning to face the attackers. 

Jerome: Come on, I thought you were supposed to be better than most clankers! My men are better than you.

The young man mused before ducking as the final droid attacked after bounding in over its recovering comrades, forcing Jerome to backpedal out of its reach. Recovering despite a frantic stumbled, the Jerome threw up his father's blade before grabbing the outstretched droid's arm and yanking it against him. Unwilling to comply, the Commando drew back its fist and rocketed it towards the young man. However, the attack did little than solidify its demise, for as the punch came close to impact, Jerome slashed upward with his silver blade, disarming the Commando.