Chapter 21: Hiigaran Assault

Narrator: A battle unfolding! With the forces of Galen's task force and the Hiigaran defense fleet fighting for the orbit, upon the ground, wildfires rage as fighting to keep the Senator from Separatist hands continues, all while Jerome Cooper's location remains unknown to high command.

Rumbling across the dirt path, bouncing war gear rattled as Hiigaran ground forces moved through the trees. The distant roar of artillery and blaster fire backdropped the pillars of smoke and flame rising in the distance. Inside the leading transport sat an astromech; around it were several heavily armed men and women. A young man lay in the walkway before them, his head propped up by a bedroll, breathing softly with a red-stained bandage around his head. Letting out a low whistle, the woman to the astromech's right, one of short raven hair, patted the droid's side.

???: It's okay. He'll wake up soon. I'm surprised the bumps haven't done it already.

She said as R4 released another low whistle in response, shifting its optic from her to its friend. The boy's face remained neutral as the soldiers kept pushing forward. Mechanized armor of all variants kicked up dirt against the lines of trees. Minutes dragged on with the roar of combat drawing closer; many troopers inside readied their weapons as they passed the smoldering wreck of an APC, black smoke rising from within the charred troop compartment, wafting over the open top. Many covered their mouths as it passed them, yet for the young man breathing in without hesitation, the metallic burn that followed erupted a hefty cough from his throat and prompted his watering eyes to shoot open to the view of passing foliage overhead.

Jerome: Huh, I didn't expect the afterlife to feel so stiff.

???: Well, if this is the afterlife kid, it's pretty shitty. How are you feeling?

The woman asked, shifting to the edge of her seat as she placed a firm hand on his shoulder as Jerome struggled to sit up, the young man wobbling as he put a delicate hand to his wounded cranium.

Jerome: Head's pounding, but okay...wait a minute. Where's-

Stella: In a medic truck a few cars down, he's stable. Major Stella, 2nd Hiigaran Mechanized Infantry Brigade. You're commander Jerome Cooper, correct?

Stella asked, getting a slight nod from the older teen as he rubbed his head.

Jerome: Yeah, 717th Republic Attack Battalion. Mind telling me how I got here and where we're going?

Stella: Currently, we're en route to our forward operating base, and as for how you're here? You got lucky we were passing through when your bomber crashed. From what your droids spilled, you're one lucky son of a bitch for surviving that on a first flight.

Jerome: Yeah, well, the universe tends to keep throwing me shit that I keep weaseling my way out of, so far at least.

He muttered, pulling his hand away, letting it fall into place behind him as he propped himself up. His gaze fell back to the trees above, taking in the distance sounds of combat, and if he squinted hard enough, see the vague outline of vessels in orbit.

Jerome: So, do you know what's happening up there?

Stella: Wish I knew myself. CIS jammed all our ground comms the moment we got an SOS out. The short band still gets through, but it's spotty. It made organizing the counteroffensive jumping through one hoop after the other.

She said, pulling her hand back as the young man shifted off the floor, sitting on the other side of his droid. Straightening himself out, Jerome settled his elbows against his knees as he spoke.

Jerome: So, what's the plan then?

Stella: Get to the FOB and hope whoever's jamming us gets blown to bits in orbit. From there, drive the damn droids off our planet once we get a force string enough.