Chapter 18: Senatorial Rescue

Narrator: Grievous in retreat. Before the battleship Malevolence could destroy an Outer Rim clone medical station, a Republic strike force led by Jedi General Anakin Skywalker crippled the warship, disabling its dreaded ion cannon. Now the Jedi relentlessly pursue the Malevolence.

Limping through the vast darkness of space, the Malevolence speeds ahead, the gargantuan vessel under unrelenting fire from the Republic war fleet, unleashing endless Turbo lasers into the ship's rear. As aboard the lead venator's bridge Jedi master Obi-wan Kenobi, Master Plo Koon, and Admiral Yularen watch the scene before them.

Obi-wan: Commander, what is the status of the CIS vessel?

The Jedi asked, slowly stroking his beard as he glanced down. One of the clones in the technical trench below him stood and addressed the Jedi.

Clone Commander: Sir, their shields and stabilizers have been knocked out, but the vessel is so large that are cannons can barely do anything to her.

Plo Koon: Then we must summon reinforcements or potentially utilize our Terran assets.

Jerome: Only if you want to risk needlessly destroying one of Gallen's vessels, sir.

The young man said as the senior officers turned towards the voice. Jerome, Anakin, and Ahsoka all stepped through the blast doors. Smiling softly, Obi-wan gave a curt nod to his apprentice as they came to stand beside him, Jerome continuing to address Master Plo.

Jerome: Sir, even though MAC rounds can punch through that bridge, given the range at current, we'd run out of ammunition for the main guns, not to mention we'd have to get into range of their dorsal turbo lasers to achieve a clean shot.

Anakin: Which is why I've been in contact with Master Luminara. She's busy with a fleet of Separatist reinforcements nearby. She won't be able to give support until she's turned them away.

Obi-wan: Then we'll have to make do with what we have. Grievous cannot evade the inevitable.

Turning back towards the vessel, all that anyone could do, was wait as the Republic warships continued their assault. Round after round of plasma volleys slammed into the CIS battleship, with a few lucky rounds impacting against the bridge's superstructure; the minutes simply dragged on. Both Padawans busied themselves while watching over the sensors to tide over the growing boredom, yet even that didn't hold the young man's attention as he looked back towards the Jedi masters.

Jerome: You know, we could try another bombing run against the bridge? Given that all the guns are pointed away from us.

Obi-wan: We could, but were you not just voicing against unnecessary risk?

Obi-wan said, giving his charge a look of faint smugness as Jerome rolled his eyes, leaning up against the console beside Ahsoka.

Jerome: I was, but it would at least be more entertaining than watching us slowly turn that thing into slag. Who knows, they may still be trying to repair their hyperdrive.

Admiral Yularen: Unlikely, given the constant barrage, unless we gave them room to breathe, that battleship isn't leaving this system unless it's under her own engine power.

Jerome: As you say, sir, but it's not like we'd do so willingly. I mean, it's not like they have a hostage or something.

He mused, rolling his wrist offhandedly, looking at Ahsoka as she hummed, typing in a few commands before glancing at her fellow teen.

Ahsoka: Well, I just picked up a signal near the enemy vessel. Something just came out of hyperspace. You could have just jinxed us.

Anakin: Enemy reinforcements?