Chapter 3: 717th

Narrator: A planet under siege! With forces of the 717th attack battalion spread thin throughout the city; the fight has reached a standstill against the invading droid army. Now on a thin line, who will be the one to turn the tide?

The sounds of the battle permeated all around as Jerome, Niner and R4 trekked over and through rubble-filled streets, the young man looking at the sheer destruction before him. Nowhere was safe as the trio ducked behind a collapsed wall, squads of B1's combing the streets on almost every corner they had moved along. Clutching his sabers, Jerome watched as the clankers moved along past them. Exhaling, he nodded to his companions as they moved again.

Jerome: It'll take years to return this city to how it was. Why would the CIS even attack Reach?

R4: Beep-Boop.

Jerome: Don't be silly; that project is just some fighter. How could that- wow!

Jerome yelped as Niner suddenly stopped, his metallic fist raised just above his shoulder.

Niner: Hostile forces at twelve o'clock. Retreat to cover. I will deal with them, sir.

Jerome: What? Come on; I can take out a few.

He said, holding his sabers in a battle stance as Niner turned to look at him.

Niner: You are still ninety-five percent combat ineffective with those weapons. Please, retreat to cover.

Niner said, raising its blaster rifle as Jerome sighed, moving behind some rubble alongside R4. Peaking over, they watched as a squad of B1s came out from an alley to the left. The squad leader of the bunch turned to face Niner as he approached.

Droid: A commando droid? What is one of you- ah!

It screamed as Niner opened fire, swiftly taking out each droid with a shot to the head. Their bodies falling to the ground as Jerome and R4 moved from the cover.

Jerome: Um, great job.... could have left me some still.

Niner: That leaves a sixty-seven percent chance of you getting shot.

Jerome: ........R4?

Jerome asked as he walked over, the astromech letting out a couple of whistles.

Jerome: Oh, of course, you would agree with it. Anyway, let's keep moving. Hope we don't get caught-

He was saying before Jerome was cut off by the distinct sound of cannon fire from a droid tank, the hover vehicle escorted by a complement of battle droids that marched down the cross section a block from their position. One droid stopped and spotted the three, as some of the droids raised their blasters towards them.

Jerome: Karrablast, just had to jinx it.

The turret of the droid tank moved over and aimed at them. Leveling at the small group Jerome prepared to try and dive out of the way before a large plasma bolt nailed the tank in the front and caught the attention of the droids as a sudden volley of blue bolts smashed into them, the accompanying voices of several men and women yelling out over the chaos.

???: For the Republic!

Another boom rang out again over the firefight as a rocket collided with the droid tank, bursting it into flames. Not on the opposite side of a blaster now, Jerome and his allies rushed into an alley. R4 letting out a loud whine as they booked it.

Jerome: What is it? We're out of the fire, so you can stop screaming!

Niner: I believe the astromech is referring to them.

Still holding its blaster at the ready, Niner gestured to a trio of commando droids dropping down the far side of the alley, sprinting through a hole in a building. Confused, the young man looked toward his new droid companion.