Chapter 8: First battle

Narrator: Christophsis under attack. Becoming under siege by forces of the CIS, the Republic has sent the troops of the 501st and 212th, alongside the reassigned 717th, just barely a few weeks since their new commander took charge. Jedi Padawan Jerome Cooper must prepare for war, as his first challenge lies in the orbit of the besieged world.

Jerome stood staring out the massive viewports, the dim blue light of hyperspace casting shadows over the bridge. With sweat forming on his palms, the young man tucked them into his pockets upon the sound of footsteps drawing close with a familiar voice.

Gallan: It's not good to stare out at it for too long.

Jerome: At Hyperspace?

He asked, glancing up as Gallan nodded, taking a moment to follow the boy's gaze before gesturing with his head back to the rear of the control tower. Jerome, taking his eyes away from the alternate dimension beyond the vessel, followed the captain past the meandering crew.

Jerome: What's so bad about it? I mean, it seems like some flashy lights.

He mused and nodded back as Gallan looked down at the young man.

Gallan: Well, there are stories of people going mad, strange happenings. It's just not a good idea to tempt the universe. Granted, all second-hand accounts, but again, best not to test the waters, so to speak.

He said; Jerome hummed and nodded as the two entered the main CIC section.

Jerome: Well, knowing my luck, that's fair. How long till we arrive?

Gallan: Any moment now.

The ship lurched ever so slightly as if on cue with the Liberation reentered real space. The two COs stopped in front of the holotable as holograms of master Kenobi and Anakin appeared on the opposite side as their vessels joined Gallan's fleet. The table itself came to life with a full view of the system. The CIS fleet held its position over the planet, with a Providence, two Munificent frigates, and two Recusants making up the blockade. The republic fleet consisted of Gallan's battlegroup and two Acclimators that held Obi-wan and Anakin's forces. The Jedi generals took a moment to overlook the scene before them, Jerome's new master slowly stroking his beard as he looked between the two fleets.

Obi-wan: Quiet the force we have on our hands. This won't be an easy fight.

Gallan: Indeed, their formation is solid yet predictable.

He muttered, leaning against the table as Jerome shifted to a less 'crowded' part of the room. Meanwhile, Anakin huffed a bit as he looked between the other men.

Anakin: Well, we can launch fighters and move our vessels into range. We should have more firepower and force them off.

He said with a nonchalant hand gesture, leaving the Liberation's captain to glare at the young Jedi.

Gallan: And leave us with casualties. Our Paris frigates don't have shields. One good bombing run and they might as well be out of the war for months. I'm not going to throw ships against the wall for success.

Obi-wan: Indeed...and the chance of losing our ground forces is far too great.

Obi-wan muttered as he thought. Jerome meanwhile stared at the holograms, his eyes darting between fleets before they snapped to the captain upon his eyes widening.

Jerome: Captain, if I may. Can I pull up the battle report from Reach?

Gallan: Yes? I see no reason to abject if you have an idea.

He gestured to the table; Jerome stepped forward and began to type away, though he stopped as Anakin forcefully coughed and halted the commander's movements.