Chapter 17

Okay so this chapter is inspired by this song. its called Ashland's Song by Peter Hollens.  Its an absolutely amazing song. Please listen to it and check out some of his other songs!

Ville's point of view

I stare down at the two little bundles, one pink and one blue, slumbering peacefully.  I can hardly believe it. My baby girl and boy, my children, finally here. Tears had welled in my eyes as the nurse called me Daddy and handed me Rebecca. I had wanted to say something, but I couldn't find the words. So I simply kissed her head and hoped everything I couldn't say was captured in that simple act.  The nurse then had came in and took little Rebecca back to the nursery to wait for her baby brother. Nearly an hour later, I held Dorian for the first time, and again I found myself speechless.

"Ville?" Skylar mumbles. I turn away from our children and walk over to the bed. Skylar holds out her hand. I take it as I sit down in the chair.

"You should be sleeping," I say softly.

"I don't need sleep. It was only seventeen hours of labor," she says, smiling. I smile back and kiss her hand.

"How does it feel to be a father?" she asks.

"There's so much I want to say and so much I want to give.  I'll spend a lifetime and more loving them. I can already see trick or treating with the gang and Thanksgiving at April's. I can see them running down the stairs Christmas morning and squealing with joy as they see the presents under the tree. I can see snowball fights and trips to the zoo. Long days at the beach and, once they get old enough, taking them to their first firework show.

There was a time when I thought I would never love again. Then I met you and I felt my heart grow to let you in. When I first saw our daughter and son, I felt my heart grow so big I thought it might burst out of my chest." I get up and sit on the edge of the bed. I look down at Skylar and kiss her softly on the lips.

"How does it feel to be a father? It's a high that I never want to come down from. It's my world and my world is our children. My world is you. It's everything I had hoped for, but didn't think I deserved. It's the one of the most amazing feelings I've ever felt." I kiss her again then hug her. She wraps her arms around me.

"It's the only thing that matters, and the only place I want to be."