Chapter 14

Skylar’s point of view

Lafayette woke me up. He told me that they were moving Ville out of surgery into ICU. I wait nervously for a nurse to come get us.

"You can come with me now," a nurse says. Another one comes and collects the cot and blanket.

"Thank you, Susan," Luca says to the woman who spoke. I clutch the elephant tightly as we make our way through the halls. She stops in front of a room then motions for us to go in. I walk in then rush over to Ville side. I take his hand in mine and stare down at him. He smiles weakly at me.

"I’m so sorry. If I never had that stupid craving, you wouldn’t have been shot. It’s all my fault," I say, shaking my head.

"Hey, hey, hey, it’s not your fault. I’m okay, I’m alive, calm down," he says.

"Ville Hermanni Valo, you got shot! Do NOT tell me to calm down!" I shout.

"He’s right, Skylar. Stressing out is not good for you or the babies," Lafayette says. I glare at him. Tears are running down my face and my breathing is shallow.

"Sky baby, look at me," Luca says. I do. He cradles my face in his hands. "I want you to take a deep breath in then let it out slowly, okay? Can you do that for me?" he asks. I nod. "Okay good. Now deep breath in, and out slowly." I do as he says. "And again." I close my eyes and do the exercise. "See? That wasn’t hard." Luca says, hugging me. He lets me go then gently pushes me towards the chair Lafayette pulled over to the bed. I sit down in the chair and take Ville’s hand.

"I’m sorry," I tell everyone.

"It’s okay, kaunis," Ville says softly.

Lafayette and Luca stay for a while but soon leave. They both have work in a few hours. Ville and I talk but we quickly run out of things to talk about. Nurses come and go, each checking to make sure Ville’s vitals are good, and to ask me if there’s anything I need. Every time I shake my head no. A police officer comes in and says that they caught the guy who did it. He said that the guy will be charged with robbery and drug possession, but didn’t say for how long.

"It’s not fair," I finally say, after being alone with my thoughts for too long.

"What’s not fair?" Ville says, yawning.

"You should be there when your children are born, but because of some asshole, you’re going to be stuck here," I reply, trying not to cry. Ville remains quiet. I look over and frown. The drugs that the nurse gave him kicked in and now he’s passed out. I stand up and kiss his forehead.

"I love you," I whisper before heading over to the couch and lying down.