Chapter 7

Ville’s point of view

I head up the stairs, looking for Skylar. Caroline walks past me.

"Have you seen Skylar?" I ask. She shakes her head and keeps walking. I frown and continue walking up the stairs. I stop in front of Bam’s door and raise my hand to knock.

"She’s not in here," Bam says. It sounds like he’s been crying.

"Do you know where she is?" I ask.

"No." I hear the door lock and I sigh.

"Okay." I say then head to our room.

The door is closed so I knock on it and gently say "Skylar?"

"Come in," she replies. I open the door then close it behind me. Skylar is lying on the bed, staring at the ceiling. I sit on the bed next to her and place my hand over hers. She moves her hands so that my hand is touching her stomach. I slowly rub my thumb back and forth.

"I think Bam lost a baby, and the woman carrying it," she says suddenly. I stop breathing and just stare at her. My lungs start screaming at me. I take a deep breath then ask, "What are you talking about?"

"I went in to see if Bam was okay, and he lost it. He started screaming about how the baby should have been his, and then it changed to the baby was his, but they’re gone, and he’ll never hold them again. I think that was why he tried to kill himself." Skylar closes her eyes and lets out a shaky breath. I wipe the tears off of her cheeks then pull her into my arms.

"He told you to leave before you could ask him about it," I state. She nods then yawns.

"Skylar?" Caroline asks, knocking.

"Come in," I say. Caroline opens the door and closes it gently. She walks over to the bed and kneels down. Skylar turns her head to look at her.

"I’m sorry for ignoring you. I was angry with you for brushing Bam’s worry off like it was nothing, but now I understand why you did it. But there’s a bigger problem to address, and it’s not something you can brush off."

"It’s Bam, I know. I think he lost a baby of his own, and that’s why he tried to commit suicide, but I think he still has issues concerning me. I tried to get him to talk but he told me to get out," Skylar says. Caroline looks shocked but quickly recovers.

"That’s what I was going to say," she states.

"Bam’s talked to you?" I ask. Caroline looks at me and nods.

"I’m not sure why, maybe because I don’t know him enough to judge him badly, or maybe he just finally needed to get everything off his chest, but I think that the both of you should try to talk to him. My professional opinion is getting the issues about what happened between the three of you out of the way first, and then try to talk to him about the baby issues."

"I forget that you used to be a therapist," I say. She snorts.

"Yeah, a therapist that needed a therapist herself." Skylar reaches out for Caroline’s hand.

"I still value your professional opinion," she says. Caroline smiles.

There’s a loud crash followed by "BAM!" The three of us jump up and rush downstairs. One of April’s pictures is lying shattered on the ground at the edge of the stairs. I stop Skylar before she steps on the glass. I look up at Bam. His face is red and tears are streaming down it. His chest is heaving with sobs as he yells at April.

"He’s been drinking again," Dunn says, making Skylar jump. I look behind me. He’s holding a half empty bottle of Jack’s. I turn back and look down at the glass. Skylar launches herself over it then cautiously walks over to Bam.

"Bam, please, stop yelling," she says calmly. He swings his arm out, knocking her to the ground.

"Skylar!" I cry out. I jump over the glass and rush to her side. She waves me away and sits up.

"Skylar you’re bleeding," I protest. I gently grab her wrist and look at it. There is glass piercing her skin from the palm to the elbow. I clench my teeth together and close my eyes, trying to calm the storm raging within me.

"Ville," Skylar says, grabbing my face with her good hand, "if anyone can calm Bam down, it’s you. I’ll have Raab take care of me. Please?" I open my eyes and sigh. I kiss her then stand up. I gently lift her up then motion for Raab. He comes over, picks her up, then takes her to the kitchen. Bam is staring at her when she glances back.