Chapter 13

Nine months pregnant

"Hello?" Ville says, answering the phone.

"Hey, instead of Propel will you pick up Apple Juice please?" I ask him.

"I’ll just pick up both, in case you change your mind. Again," he replies.

"Oh and can you pick up Full Throttle and some M&M’s, please?"

"No. No caffeine, no chocolate, that’s what we agreed on," he reminds me. I groan.

"Pleeeeease? Just one pack of M&M’s, that’s all I’m asking," I beg.

"Kaunis, you have a week before your C-section. After the twins are born, you can eat all the chocolate you want," Ville replies in that oh-so-reasonable tone that pisses me off.

"Fine," I say, defeated.

"I’m paying for the stuff now, then I’ll be on my way home. I love you."

"I love you, too," I say before hanging up. I grab the stuffed elephant Ville bought for me and clutch it to my chest. I kiss its head then set it next to me. I grab my sketch book and continue doodling while I wait. About ten minutes pass when someone knocks. I set my stuff down then slowly make my way to the front door. A police officer is standing there when I open it. My heart sinks. He starts talking in rapid Finnish, but switches to English at my confused expression.

"Pardon me, Miss. Are you Skylar Wolf?" he asks. I nod, not trusting my voice.

"I’m sorry to tell you that your fiancé has been shot. He’s been rushed to the hospital…" his words fade out.

"Ville? Shot? My Ville? My Ville’s been shot?" I take deep breaths, trying not to hyperventilate. Tears rush down my face as I fall against the wall.

"Miss Wolf? Did you hear me?" the police officer asks. I shake my head.

"I said that if you get changed, I can take you to the hospital," the officer repeats. I nod leave to go get changed.

At the hospital

I sit in the waiting room, clutching the stuffed elephant to my chest, and stare at nothing.

"Skylar!" I ignore my name. Someone touches my forehead then kneels in front of me. Lafayette’s face stares at me.

"What happened?" he asks.

"He got shot," I say weakly.

"By who?" I shrug.

"The officer tried to explain but I wasn’t paying attention. I kept thinking ‘what if the ambulance doesn’t make it in time? What if he’s lost to much blood? What if…" I throw my arms around Lafayette, my composure breaking.

"I don’t want his kids growing up without their father!" I sob.

Lafayette’s point of view

I rub Skylar’s back, not knowing what else to do. We get looks of sympathy from some of the other people in the waiting room, but other than that, we are left alone. A nurse comes in and talks to Luca. He looks at us then back to the nurse and shakes his head. She nods then leaves. Luca walks back to us.

"She said that Ville was shot twice when someone came in and tried to rob the convenience store he was at. She said that the first bullet grazed him, and little damage was cause and the second bullet passed through the muscles surrounding the abdomen. It never entered the true abdominal cavity, so he got lucky there. He’s in surgery now to get the bullet out. The nurse said that if nothing goes wrong, he should make a full recovery and in a few weeks he’ll be up and about."

"A few weeks? But Skylar’s C-section is next week!" I whisper forcefully, trying not to wake Skylar.

"I know," Luca sighs. "She should be at home."

"We both know she won’t leave." Luca nods his agreement. The nurse that talked to him comes back with a cot and a blanket.

"It’s not much, but it’s better than lying on the floor," the nurse says. Luca takes the stuff from her.

"Thank you, Susan," he says.

"She really should be at home," Susan says.

"We know, but she won’t leave, not while the father of her children is in surgery," Luca tells her.

"If there’s anything else you need, just let me know." She leaves. Luca lays the cot on the floor.

"At least she picked a corner to sit in," I say, trying to lighten the mood. Luca just looks at me then crouches next to Skylar.

"Sky, baby, hey, wake up. There’s a cot here for you. It will be more comfortable than the position your in now," he says.

"Ville," she mumbles.

"Ville’s in surgery right now but he’s going to be fine. The nurse will tell us when we can see him, but for now you need to lie down," he tells her. She nods and slides off the chair onto the floor. She lies down on her side. Luca hands her the stuffed elephant then covers her with a blanket. I sit in her vacant seat and Luca sits next to me. We hold hands and wait for more news.