Epilogue

Dorian and Rebecca's 5th Birthday Party
Skylar's Point of View

Squealing and laughter greet me as I walk out onto the back porch with the cupcakes. Kids are running around spraying each other with water guns while the adults sit around the table and chat. The sky is a bright blue, the sun is warm on the skin and everything is right in the world as I sit the cupcakes onto the table. I give Ville a peck on the cheek then call everyone to gather around. Dorian and Becca argue over who will get to blow the candles out but their squabble is soon put to rest as Bam comes over and sits a small cake down in front of each of them. Dorian got the Lion King cake that he had been asking for while Becca got a Pokemon cake she wanted. They squeal and say thank you before blowing out the candles and digging in. I start handing out cupcakes and ice cream cups.

After cake and ice cream,Ville and I clean up and prepare the table for presents. The kids sit down and we start handing them gifts. There is courses of oohs and ahhs, screams of happiness and a lot of thank yous. The kids play with their new toys but soon the guests start trickling out. Once all the guests are gone, the trash has been picked up and everyone has settled down in the living room, Ville gathers the kids and announces that we have one more gift to give them.

"So this gift is a bit different than the ones you've opened," Ville explains as he kneels down next to them. "This gift isn't one we can give to you right now because you both have to pick it out yourself." Dorian and Becca look at him, trying to figure out what he's saying. I squat down next to Ville and finish telling them what's going on.

"What you're father is trying to get at is, tomorrow the four of us are going to go to the shelter and adopt a dog and a cat. Just like you guys have been asking for." Their faces light up and they barrel into us while screaming with joy. For the rest of the night that's all they talk about, what kind of pet they want, what color, size, gender, big ears, wagging tail, anything and everything, they want it all. Ville laughs and ushers them out of the living room so they can get ready for bed.

"They are a funny bunch," Bam says, plopping down onto the couch. I agree as I stand up and stretch. I head over and sit down next to Bam, leaning my head on his shoulder. We sit like that for a while, listening to the distant sound of Ville laughing with his children.

"I want to thank you," Bam says quietly.

"For what?" I reply.

"For believing in me when no one else would. Five years ago I was a wreck, a depressed, suicidal, alcoholic with nothing to live for. That is until you convinced Ville that I needed to be around to help you with your children. I know he didn't want me around. I know that a small part of him hated me for all the pain and suffering I had put you through. I was an ass. I was horrible and I didn't deserve the kindness you showed me. But because of that kindness, I'm a better person. I have a steady girlfriend and a loving family. I have a life worth living."

Bam shifts and turns to look at me. He cups my face in his hands and smiles.

"It's all because of you. So thank you for everything." He pulls me to him and wraps his arms around me, resting his head on my shoulder. I wrap my arms around him and relax into his embrace. I talk while hugging him.

"You have nothing to thank me for. If it weren't for you I would have been dead a long time ago. You had always been by my side, saved me from an abusive home and an abusive relationship. You are now and forever will be my best friend in this whole world. I should have been there sooner for you."

"Shush, it's all in the past now. But I do think it's time I told you what happened." I tense up, ready to pull away but Bam tightens his hug. I relax my body once again and he continues speaking.