Chapter 12

Skylar’s point of view

I stare up at the roses as they fall down. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Ville stand up. I assume that he’s heading to the bathroom, but instead he walks in front of me, then kneels down on one knee. His hands shake as he pulls out a small box. My breath catches as he says four simple words.

"Will you marry me?"

Tears well up in my eyes and I nod enthusiastically as I manage to squeak out a yes. He slips the ring on my finger. I launch myself out of the chair and into his arms. He wraps his around me then picks me up and spins me around. He sets me down, kisses me, then shouts, "She said yes!" The crowd erupts, their clapping and cheering echoing throughout the room. The band starts playing and everyone begins to dance. I tire quickly and sit back down while Ville continues to dance with the performers. My face hurts from smiling and my throat is sore from laughing, but I’ve never been happier.

Later that night, I lie awake in bed with Ville snoring softly beside me. I smile as I play with the ring on my finger. I never thought that I would get married or have kids, and I was okay with that. Even when I started dating Ville, it wasn’t something I cared about. But now that it has happened to me, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Ville’s point of view, the next day

"Dorian Alexander Valo," Skylar says around a mouthful of cereal. I roll my eyes at her manors then walk over to look at the list of names. "Or maybe Alistair Shiloh Valo?"

"I’m fine with either one," I say, kissing her head. She turns and glares at me. I ignore it. Lafayette walks into the kitchen with Luca.

"Dorian Alexander or Alistair Shiloh?" Skylar asks them as a hello.

"It ain’t my baby," Lafayette says, rummaging through the fridge.

"I like Dorian Alexander," Luca says.

"Thank you!" Skylar exclaims, throwing her hands in the air. She circles the name on the paper. "Rebecca Dawn Valo and Dorian Alexander Valo," she says to no one in particular.

"Lovely names, Ms. Valo," I say, grinning. She smiles and nods. Lafayette starts choking on his drink.

"What in the seven hells are you talking about?" he asks, eyes flicking between the two of us. Skylar shows him the ring.

"When were you planning on telling me this?" Lafayette asks, putting his hands on his hips.

"Monday, when I went in to work. I was going to tell everyone at once, but since you know, keep your trap shut," Skylar says, pointing her finger at him.

"It’s a beautiful ring," Luca says, turning Skylar’s hand to see the ring better. "It reminds me of Beauty and the Beast."

"That’s exactly what it is," I say as I lean against the counter. "Skylar doesn’t like traditional rings, and since her favorite movie is Beauty and the Beast, I made a ring inspired by the movie." Skylar looks up at me, her eyes saying everything.

"You made the ring?" Luca asks, confused. I nod.

"Starlight Jewelry allows you create your own rings," I explain.

"That’s cool," he says, smiling. He glances at Lafayette then quickly looks away. Skylar and I exchange a look but don’t comment.

Skylar’s point of view later that night

I hug Lafayette and Luca bye, then thank them again for helping put the crib and rocking chair together . I shut the door then head to the bathroom for a shower.

"So do you think Luca is going to propose to Lafayette?" Ville asks, making me jump.

"I don’t know. It’s possible," I reply, washing the shampoo out of my hair. The curtain opens and Ville steps into the shower.

"They make a good couple," he says. I nod then ask, "What are we going to do about the wedding?"

"Ah, so that’s what has been on you mind all day," Ville says, grinning.

"I’m being serious. You know that once we tell everyone, they will want to know dates and stuff." Ville’s smile falls as he nods.

"I know they will, and what we’ll tell them is: we are not doing anything until the twins are born," he says. I rest my forehead against his chest.

"You’re already stressed enough about the babies. The wedding can wait."

"But-"

"No buts about it, kaunis," Ville says, raising my face to look at me. "I want the wedding to be something special, not a thorn in your side." He rubs my stomach then says softly, "I want you to worry about the two miracles growing inside you. After they are born, after we’ve settled into our new life, then we can worry about the wedding." I bite my lip and look away.

"Skylar, I mean it, don’t stress about the wedding, and please don’t think that I’m just blowing it off as nothing, I’m not. I love that you are already thinking about the wedding. I love that you want to spend the rest of your life with me, but I don’t want you stressing any more than you already are. It’s not healthy. Okay?" He turns my face back towards him. "Okay?" I give him a small smile and nod. He kisses me.

"I love you," he says.

"I love you, too."