10: A Big Announcement

So I stood up, and marched toward her. She looked at me like a deer in the headlights, backing away. I closed in, stood on my tiptoes and kissed her full on the lips.

At first she tensed up, moving her arms up to push me away. But an instant later she melted, her lips softened, her breath left her. I pulled back, smiling, blushing, but not making eye contact, and went back to scrubbing floors.

Later that day, her game of entering a room and waiting for me to curtsy and leave, resumed.

* * *

Emily gathered the three of us into the main foyer for an announcement.

"I'm throwing a party," she said. "A big costume ball."

Rachel bounced.

"Why haven't I heard of it?" asked Ms. Fox.

"I'm telling you now."

"We'll need to hire more staff," Fox said.

"So hire them. It's going to be my kind of costume party, a bondage-y fetish-y kind of party. I'm inviting all my old friends from the scene. We'll fly them up first class!"

"Sounds expensive," said Rachel.

"We'll fly them up, super economy!" Emily laughed. "And I'm going to invite some of my new friends from around town."

"What sort of costumes?" asked Ms. Fox.

"It'll be a surprise, we'll force, err... allow guests to change throughout the evening. They won't know what they are going to be— until it's too late."

"Do I get a costume?" Rachel asked.

"Of course!"

"What is it?"

Emily winked, "A surprise!"

Rachel was shaking. "Sounds great!"

"And I was thinking that it might be a good test for Charlotte, if she performs well, she'll pass her training," Emily added.

Ms. Fox interrupted, "That's really up to me."

"I'll let you help pick the costumes..." Emily cooed.

"Can I pick yours?" she smirked.

Emily blushed "What is it?"

"A surprise."

Emily's knees shook. "Of course you can!"

* * *

I wasn't involved in the party arrangements. Rachel contacted the guests, got their measurements and arranged travel, while Emily and Ms. Fox busied themselves ordering costumes. From what I gathered, they were going to be very elaborate, and had to be done on very short order, so they had to contract a whole slew of makers to get them done on time. That, and pay them a huge bonus to drop whatever it was that they were doing.

My only contribution was to very meekly, when Ms. Fox wasn't around, ask Emily if we could invite Julia, the woman who did my makeup on day zero.

To which she answered sternly, "Know your place, Charlotte. Silly girl." But then after my back was turned, she added warmly "already invited her."

All told, it took three weeks to prepare for the party, which coincided nicely with one month of living in the manor. The time went by quickly, and I was able to forget about myself for a while.