16: Bast's Blast

"So Rose, do you have a plan or something?" I asked.

"If we get the real painting back and swap it for the fake before the art forgery expert testifies on Monday. That'll make Fox a liar, and they won't have any basis to hold Rachel or Emily."

"How you gonna swap them? And how are we going to find the real one?"

"Swapping is easy, we just pay a guy off. And I know who has it. Not that I have any evidence or anything. But there's this guy, Adam Bast. He makes designer drugs, but he also trades in art. Fox and him go way back, so he's got to have it. I bet he's who she was going to sell all your stuff to in the first place."

"So, if he's a bad guy why hasn't he been caught?"

"He's got a smart lawyer. I found drugs at his place, once, but it was 'ruled' an illegal search. And honestly..." She looked down, "He bought me off."

"Oh, crap," I said.

"Well, I regret it now! The cops never had cause to look into him. He's smart but he flaunts his shit. Halloween's this weekend, he always throws big parties. So..."

"We just sneak in, mission impossible style, grab the painting without anyone knowing, and what? swap it out for the forgery?" I mocked.

"I was thinking we start a fire, grab the painting, and run, but your way sounds good too."

"Look, I'm a data-base programmer. Julia's a beautician. You're the only one even remotely qualified for this—"

"Actually," Julia held up a finger, "I used to work in theater."

"How does that help?"

"You know those guys in black suits who run around behind the set?"

"Yeah..."

"They used to call me 'ghost.' I'm pretty good at sneaking."

"Fruck," I said. "...I used to bypass electric locks in college, though I'm not very good with the real ones. We used to break into auditoriums after hours, to watch movies on the big screen."

"He's got a whole mess of keypads," Rose added. She blushed. "I kind of worked security for him a few times."

"Wait, could you get on his security team for the party?" I asked.

"Maybe... yeah..." Rose's eyes lit up. "Bast's always liked women doing security. I never have any trouble getting jobs."

"And it is a costume party," Julia added. "So we won't be recognized."

Rose made a sour face. "Yeah it's a costume party. But it's going to be filled with drug dealers. If they catch us, the cops will be the least of our worries."

"But why are you doing all this? Sticking your neck out?"

"For Rachel," Rose smiled, "she gets me."

"Julia?" I asked.

"Hey, I am not going back to Supercuts."

* * *

"Testing one two, testing one two," Rose said through the Bluetooth in my ear. She'd given us both burner phones after we'd ditched ours, and was motioning us over to a side door of Adam Bast's Estate.

"Nice outfit." She said, letting us through.

I sighed. "I look like a transvestite clown."

"Well, you kind of are, aren't you?" Rose pointed out, and I punched her in the arm.