11 - skinny love

IVY HAD BEEN ASLEEP FOR a long time, the worn out girl had finally gotten the rest she needed.

She stirred, slightly, her nose twitching and her eyes squeezing, beneath her closed eyelids she could detect the scattered light through the nets and the fabric covering the entrance.

Her eyes fluttered open and she groggily sat up, thankful she hadn't had a nightmare.

She shook her head waking herself up, the cool morning air was no where to be seen, an instead was replaced with the midday warmer breeze, how long had she slept for?

She pushed away the patterned fabric, hissing in pain when the light touched her eyes, blinking it away and massaging the ache away from her head.

She couldn't look directly at the sky or up anywhere near the sun like the others, but judging by the lack of shadows she assumed it to be midday.

Out of the very corner of her eyes she saw three—no four people walking towards the rockpools, she squinted her eyes and squinted at them, she made out four Metkayina teens, one taller one shorter she assumed to be Roxto and Aonung, and the other Laurite and Oeyani, she could tell two forest Na'vi were there, Neteyam, and either Kiri or Lo'ak.

Ivy realised it was Lo'ak, Kiri, Tsireya and Tuk appeared walking behind them, she made a beeline forwards, her knuckles clenched together as the memories of Laurite and the Kakita shell flooded her mind.

She saw Tuk turn and point at the pale girl, Kiri spoke to Tsireya and redirected her path to Ivy with Tuk.

"What's going on?" Ivy asked Kiri returning Tuks quick hug.

"Is it true you saw a Tulkun?" Tuk asked from below, her normal wide eyes glistening with curiosity.

Before Ivy could answer the young girl Kiri stepped in "Lo'aks convinced you guys met a Tulkun, Aonungs convinced you couldn't of, they're arguing"she shook her head tiredly, fed up with the boys antics.

"So did you?" Tuk asked as the three girls hopped up the rocks to where the others were seated.

"We met something" Ivy shrugged fiddling with her jewlerry and keeping her eyes on the ground "I dunno if it was a Tulkun, I have no clue what they are"

"Tsireya was telling us the other day" Kiri tilted her head realising Ivy must of not been paying attention again, the girl zoned out quiet a lot.

"Oh" Ivy said simply, they had reached the group, she kept her eyes down and away from Laurite and Oeyani, Kiri noticed this, as did Tsireya and Lo'ak, the Sully girl wondered what they did to her that made her launch at Laurite the other day.

Ivy sat between Tsireya and Lo'ak listening to the boy and Aonung bickering, Tsireya who was desperately trying to stop the boys from insulting eachother greeted Ivy.

Aonung turned to Roxto and the girls asking who's side they were on when Lo'ak turned to Ivy "you ok?"

"Yeah"

"You slept for like 15 hours" he told her, before Ivy could answer Kiri spoke.

"I wish I'd been there, the ocean blessed you with a gift brother" she smiled at him while Ivy took in the winding rock structure carrying pools of the brightest turquoise water she'd ever seen in it.

"The tulkuns have not returned yet" Aonung spoke up leaning forward "and anyway, no Tulkun is ever alone" Lo'ak and Ivy simultaneously rolled their eyes.

Lo'ak placed a hand on Ivys shoulder "well this one was" the pale girl nodded up to Lo'ak then to Aonung.

"Yeah" she agreed and turned to Tsireya, a girl she knew would listen much better and attentively than her brother "and he had like...a missing fin, a stump on his—on his left side"