SIXTEEN: COMPLICATED

"we have a day off today." he whispered from behind her and she almost jumped, she was still not used to having him around.

"yeah I know, half of us got wasted yesterday." she replied and he hummed.

she finished washing the dishes and she turned around looking at him sat on the table staring at her, she let out a small chuckle walking up to him and she sighed.

"why don't you want to tell me about our past?" he questioned and she stayed silent for a bit.

"there are some things from our past that could hurt you, I don't want you to live that again." she sat down next to him.

"then can you tell me who has your past body? director said that this isn't yours that's why my dreams might confuse me." he insisted.

"Koo Ryeon." she replied and he was actually surprised to atleast have an answer.

"why?" he questioned and she let out a chuckle.

"because I didn't want you to recognize me, and Ryeon needed my body too, so it was a win, but I didn't know the director would bring her to work at Jumadeung." she explained and he nodded in understanding.

"how did you die? I know you were murderer." he asked but she shook her head meaning she wasn't going to tell him.

"that's one of the things you shouldn't know." she got up and walked to her room.

THAT EVENING

"did you seriously bring me to dinner?" she laughed sitting down in the restaurant table and he nodded.

"I have to start somewhere." he replied sitting infront of her. "Jumadeung doesn't know anything about us, except for the director and who was at the bar yesterday."

as time passed while eating and chatting she knew something was bothering him from the look on his face, so she sighed and he looked up at her.

"what?" she asked.

"I'm trying to connect the fact that the one in my dreams was you and not Ryeon, I was confused this whole time, but you don't want to tell me anything and it's really frustrating to me." he explained.

"please don't start, let it go." she sighed knowing he was about to start an argument or something.

"I can't let it go Haeun, it's our past, like I didn't know my past wife was there until the director forced us to work more together and I insisted on some things, it's not fair, do you understand that? I feel like I don't know who I am, and you have to keep things that will hurt me but I'm sure they hurt you too, when you asked me to burn the rapist, wasn't that a personal favor? when I killed those men, the look on your face, weren't you scared of something? of course you were, you ignored me for weeks after that, but you didn't want to tell me why!" he let out and she stayed silent looking at him.

fact is that she really didn't want him to remember any of the pain they had, even if he was the strong one in the past, she didn't want him to know, to blame himself like he did until he died and she saw that all from Jumadeung, it was all so complicated and he was making things more difficult.

"I don't want to talk, I'm tired now..." she whispered getting up and walking away.

he watched her walk away and then punched the table slightly making some people turn to him but he didn't care, he couldn't even follow her cause it would make a bigger argument, she wanted to stay alone right now.
The woman arrived home and she dropped on the bed, tears came to her eyes as she remembered.

PAST MEMORIES

"I told my son that he should find someone better, people are looking down at him with a slut as his wife, that's what you want for him? if you loved him you should've disappeared and died somewhere in shame." the old woman let out with venom.

"what..." Haeun whispered as tears rolled down her eyes, her breath stopped for a second. "I do love him with all my heart but..."

"then go and die." the woman interrupted her.

The door slammed open as guards were trying to stop the man from entering, he pushed them away and his angry eyes darted to his mother.

"how dare you old witch talk like that to her?!" he yelled and his mother went silent.

"Joonggil-ah..." his wife whispered and his eyes traveled to her sobbing mess, he quickly kneeled next to her.

"it's okay, don't listen to her... nothing of that is your fault..." he hugged her tightly to his chest trying to reassure her.

"she was with another man." his mother whispered.

"against her will! she was a victim of these men because of me! she has nothing to be blamed for, I should be the one dying in shame for not protecting her!" he screamed out and his mother quickly lowered her head.

END OF PAST MEMORIES