Chapter 17- A Miscarriage?

~Kiara's POV~
Once JJ left the room to go to the kitchen, I laid in bed for probably another 5 minutes before I felt something weird. Like something was pushing on my lower stomach. I was confused and got off the bed to go to the bathroom. I got up and started walking, then I felt something trickle down my leg. I looked down and saw some blood going down my leg.

I stood there staring at the blood for maybe 15 seconds before I started freaking out.
Shit, shit, shit.
I grabbed a towel from the laundry basket and wiped the blood off my legs. I went to the bathroom and saw my shorts and underwear were soaked in blood.

"Oh my god this isn't happening..." I whispered to myself. "Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god..."
I cleaned myself up and got changed, put a pad on, and went out to JJ. He had his back turned, making the sandwich.

I was shaking, standing there. "Hey JJ?" I called out.
"Yea what's up?" He asked, not looking up.
"Um... I'm bleeding..." My voice was so shaky when I said those two words, I wasn't sure if he heard me.
But when he looked up at me with such fear in his eyes, I knew he did.

"Wait what? What do you mean?" He asked me.
Then I just started crying and he came right over.
"Shit, hey, hey what's wrong?" He asked me, holding my arms.
I was shaking and I could barely talk. "I'm bleeding... down there..."

He looked down, but there wasn't anything there obviously. "Alright, let's get you to the hospital."
We got in the car and headed towards the hospital. I was crying the whole time and JJ was squeezing my hand while swerving through all the cars.

"Hey, hey what do you feel? Are you in pain? Are you hurt?" JJ kept trying to talk to me.
But I was crying so much that I was starting to hyperventilate. "I don't know... I don't know..."
"Don't worry, don't worry you're gonna be ok..." he told me. But the fear in his voice told me he didn't believe his own words.

We got to the hospital and JJ carried me in and started yelling. "Hey hey! I need help! My fiancé, she's pregnant and bleeding!"
A doctor and some nurses came over and I was put on a gurney.
"Ok, hi can you tell me your name?" The doctor asked me.

"Kiara." I told her.
"Ok Kiara, my name is Dr. Keane, how far along are you?" She asked me as a nurse started giving me an IV and hooked me up to some monitors.
"16 weeks." I told her.

"Ok so what exactly happened?" She asked me.
"I was laying in bed, then I start feeling this... this like weird pressure like someone was pushing on my lower stomach, so I get up and start feeling something run down my leg and see blood." I explained to her.
She looked at me and I could tell in her eyes she was worried as she started getting the ultrasound machine set up.

I looked at JJ with tears in my eyes and he kissed my forehead. "Don't worry... you'll be ok... both of you..." he squeezed my hand.
The doctor started doing the ultrasound and I tried to study her face to see if it was good or bad news, but I couldn't tell.

After about a minute, she stopped and put the wand down. "Ok... so you explained that your symptoms were feeling pressure down here in your lower abdominal region, and then the blood, correct?"
I nodded my head. "Yea... is something wrong with the baby?"

"Ok so... the abdominal pressure doesn't worry me, and usually neither does the blood... both of those are normal at your stage in pregnancy..." she explained.
JJ smiled and looked at me. "See? Everything's ok..."
The doctor looked at us and made JJ eat up those 3 words. "Not exactly."

I looked at her and JJ's smiled dropped so quick.
"What do you mean?" I asked her.
She looked at both of us and waited before she spoke. "Your baby's heart beat is declining slowly... mixing
the pain and bleeding... means that this is a late-term miscarriage."

I looked at her in shock and I couldn't speak at first. But then JJ did. "A miscarriage? Like when the baby dies?"
The doctor nodded her head. "Unfortunately... yes..."
I leaned my head back, covered my face, and started crying. "No, no..."
JJ leaned his head on my shoulder and I could hear him sniffling.

I looked back at the doctor. "So what now? I just bleed this baby out of me?"
She looked down and shook her head. "No, given how late in this stage you are, we will have to schedule you for a surgery to remove the dead tissue of the fetus out of your uterus. The sooner the better. We're going to admit you and get you into surgery hopefully by the morning."

I nodded my head and she left the room. I looked at JJ and started crying more. He kissed my forehead and I could feel his tears falling off his face. "It's ok... it's ok..."
All I could do was hold his arm and cry into his shoulder. "This is a joke... this can't be happening..."
He looked at him and cupped my face in his hands. "I'm sorry... I wish it was..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few hours later, we were still in the ER, waiting to be admitted into the hospital. We haven't told anyone about this yet because both JJ and I are still in denial. We were playing Go-Fish with some cards JJ bought in the hospital gift-shop.

"Got any... kings?" JJ asked me.
"Go-Fish..." I said.
We were playing with for about 30 minutes before a nurse came in. "Hi there, I just have to check your baby on the ultrasound one more time."
I looked at her confused. "What for?"

"Because when we have to confirm that the baby does in-fact not have a heartbeat before we can schedule you a surgery." She explained.
She put the gel on my stomach and pressed the wand around my stomach. She looked at the screen, confused, and then just left without saying anything.

I looked at JJ confused, whether to be scared or not.
Then the doctor came back in with the nurse and started checking me again. Then she smiled at herself and looked at us. "You guys must have some serious luck on your side... your baby is ok..."

I looked at her with my eyes so wide, I'm pretty sure they were 3 seconds from popping out of their sockets. "Wait what?"
She turned the screen and then played the heartbeat for us. "Your baby is perfectly fine... maybe they were tired or something when I first did the initial ultrasound... but your baby is ok..."

I looked at JJ and we both had the same shocked by happy expression.
"Wait but, what about her bleeding and pain she was having?" JJ asked.
"That's normal especially in this stage." The doctor explained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few more hours later, I got discharged for the hospital at around 10pm, and got home at midnight from eating at The Wreck.
JJ and I both got ready for bed, and then I laid in his arms.
We both looked at each other. Neither of us spoke anything about the hospital once we left. "This was a... fun day..." I joked.

JJ laughed under his breath. "I'm just glad you're ok..." he kissed my forehead.
I put my hand on my stomach and smiled. "I'm just glad this little peanut's ok.."

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊