Chapter 18- Court House

-few days later-
~Kiara's POV~
"Alright Kiara, we'll see you back here in 4 weeks. Here are some sonogram photos and you can go to the front to make your next appointment." The doctor told me as she cleaned up the gel off my stomach, handing me some photos.

"And we'll find out the gender next visit right?" JJ asked her.
The doctor nodded her head and smiled. "That's the plan, if not, we would run a blood test and find out that way."
I sat up. "Thanks Doctor Thompson."
She smiled at us. "No problem you two, congrats on the engagement by the way. See you in 4 weeks."

As she left, we got ready to leave. "You excited for the next appointment?" I asked JJ.
He smiled and nodded his head. "Yup, can't wait for you to see I'm right. I know it's a girl."
I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Yea that's what you think. Well I'm the one carrying this baby, and I think it's a boy."

We laughed about it for another minute or so before we left the room, made the next appointment, and then headed back to the car.
We drove back home and we both just laid on the couch with each other, admiring the photos we just got.

"Look at his little side profile." I smiled, pointing out one of the photos.
JJ smiled and looked them. "You mean she, and yea she's so cute."
I looked at him and rolled my eyes while laughing.

Then my phone went off. I looked at it and groaned.
JJ laughed at my reaction. "Who texted?"
I showed him my phone. "Sarah, she still can't believe we don't want a wedding..."
"Did you explain to her why?"
I nodded my head. "Yea, too expensive, too much, not us."

He nodded his head and twirled my hair with his fingers. "And we agreed on a courthouse thing right? Just signing some papers and boom?"
I shrugged. "Yea... I don't really want a big wedding. Or any wedding... it was just never my thing or my dream..."
He thought about something, then looked at me. "So why don't we just do it?"

I looked up at him. "What do you mean?"
He laughed a bit before he spoke. "Let's just head down to the courthouse right now and... get married officially."
I looked at him in shock for a second. "Um... you do know we need an appointment for that right?"

He nodded his head. "So why don't you call the courthouse right now and get an appointment for... tomorrow at noon?"
I sat up on the couch. "Really?"
He smiled and nodded his head. "Let's do it.."
I smiled and left the room to go make the phone call.

Court House Person: hello?
Kiara: hi, I was wondering if you had Availability for a marriage license signing tomorrow?
CH person: ok no problem, what time were you looking at? We have 10am, noon, 3pm, and 5pm.
Kiara: noon works perfectly.
CH person: ok perfect, can I have your name?

Kiara: Kiara Carrera.
CH person: alright, and you are aware that you will need a witness that is over 18 to be there correct?
Kiara: yes I understand.
CH: ok perfect. I just need the name of your future spouse and both of your DOBs.

Once I told her our ages, she stayed quiet for a minute.
CH Person: ok, do you guys have a guardian that can be present during this ceremony?
Kiara: no... we don't...
CH Person: ok, I'm sure it won't be a problem as long as you have a witness over the age of 18.
Kiara: ok thank you so much.
CH person: no problem have a good day.

Once I hung up the phone, I felt this rush of excitement fill me up. Pope just turned 18 last week, so this is perfect. He would be our witness.
I went back over to JJ and he smiled once he saw me.
"So do we have a date?" He asked me.
I smiled and nodded my head. "Tomorrow at noon." I squealed from excitement and hugged him.

We texted the group about the being at the courthouse tomorrow and they were all excited too.
I looked at JJ. "We're really doing this..."
He smiled and gave me a kiss. "I'm so excited."
I smiled as we pulled away. "I'm going to become a Maybank.. now we'll all have the same last name."

He smiled to himself. "I still can't believe you want to do that..."
I looked at him. "Of course I do... we're married and I want us to have the same name."
He smiled and kissed me again. To which things got more heated and he ended up picking me up and taking us to our room.

-next morning-
It was 10am and we were finishing getting ready to go to the court house. Pope told us he didn't some research and it's better to be there at least 30 minutes before to make sure everything is in order.

I was wearing a white, fitted dress with some white heals and a white flower hair clip. JJ was wearing black pants, and a button up shirt he "borrowed" from a store down in Charleston a few months back.
I was getting my jewelry and makeup done when JJ walked into our room and stopped dead in his tracks. I saw him in the mirror and smiled to myself.

"JJ, I think you're drooling a bit." I teased him.
He smiled and came up behind me. He put his hands on my waist and dragged them down and in front to my stomach. Then he kissed my neck. "You look amazing."

I looked at him through the mirror and turned my head to kiss him. "So do you, hot stuff."
He smiled at me. "You ready to go get married?"
I smiled up at him. "As ready as I'll ever be.."

We got to the courthouse and met up with the rest of the group. Sarah smiled when she saw us and gave me some flowers. "This is for you, the flowers."
I smiled. "Thanks Sarah, you didn't have to."
She smiled and shrugged. "Yes I did..."

John B gave JJ a small box. JJ opened it to reveal a men's ring. JJ looked at John B and joked. "I'm flattered man but, I'm kinda locked in with Kie already."
We all laughed at that and John B shook his head. "No it's a wedding band for you."
JJ smiled at it. "Thanks man, I appreciate it."

Pretty soon, it was time for us to go inside.
We went inside, then we followed an officiant into a room.
We had to sign some papers and then he wanted to give us an "official" court house wedding.

JJ and I were standing in front of each other, I was holding the bouquet and JJ's ring, and he was holding my engagement ring.
Then the officiant started speaking.
"Kiara Carrera, do you take thee, JJ Maybank, to be your lawfully wedded husband, for richer or for poorer, for better or for worse, till death do you part, for as long as you both shall live?"

I looked into JJ's bright blue eyes and nodded my heading while smiling so big. "I do."
Then the officiant turned his head to JJ.
"JJ Maybank, do you take thee, Kiara Carrera, to be your lawfully wedded wife, for richer or for poorer, for better or for worse, till death do you part, for as long as you both shall live?"
JJ looked at me and started to tear up a bit, which made me start to as well. "I do."

I gave Sarah my flowers and JJ and I slipped the rings onto each other's left ring fingers.
"By the power vested in me, I pronounce you both Mr. and Mrs. Maybank. You may kiss your bride."
JJ and I both smiled at each other. I put my hands around his neck and he grabbed my waist and pulled me in. We kissed for what felt like an eternity, but it was most alive I have ever felt.

JJ and I were finally married. I'm finally a Maybank. I couldn't believe this. We are so happy to start our lives as new, young parents, married.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊